Very wide spacing of hives (100m) reduces mite build up - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Very wide spacing of hives (100m) reduces mite build up

How many of us can put these findings into use? I for one will start spacing all my hives 100 meters apart tomorrow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I spaced my hives 3-5 m apart and used robber screens the whole year long and I claim this reduced drifting + - 40%, as I saw because I have grey and yellow bees at my bee yard.
    A big difference to last year. Let´s see if this means a change in tf survivability.

And I have placed a single, not resistant colony in my garden, surrounded by neighbor treated hives, 300m away. Robber screen on. I´m curious if these will survive winter. Normally they would be dead now without treatment, but I hear them.

To move brood or honey combs to sustain weak colonies will wreck this space management though.
    zone 8a, sc, dadant square, wax comb, tf, 4 years beekeeping
    www.vivabiene.de

I actually have enough room that I could spread my hives apart a lot, but then I would spend all my energy walking from hive to hive especially when stealing resources from one hive or mulltiple hives for things like swarm boxes etc. I wouldn't have the energy.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

"I'm not beeless. Last time I was beeless was 2001. "..

Mike just wondering how your bee yards are doing these days. Do you mind sharing your current untreated colony numbers and overwintering rates the last couple of seasons. Are you still buying lots of package bees to replace dead outs each spring? I really have no idea how treatment free beekeepers are keeping numbers up these days. Thanks
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

The charts in the study above are all over the place, and flip back a forth, almost doubling the mite count in two weeks for some groups. At any give time during the study there is either a 0M or 10M with similar or better results than the 100M group. I did not see a trend that's going to "Save the Bees". But instead it depends on which week of the year I am going to keep bees at 0M, 10M or 100M apart. That's going to be a lot of moving hives every other week to maximized the best possibly mite loss to the landscape.

And in the end all mites levels dropped in Nov. To survivable limits? That's the question. Was the difference in each group enough to show a difference rate in survivability? And to what degree. Are we to move our hives 100M apart for 2% increase in survival?
    Last edited by FlowerPlanter; 12-08-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Siwolke said:”Multiplying was done by swarming, no brood combs were shifted. There was no comb hygiene, honey was taken out of brood combs too. ” Do you mean removing old black comb from hives? Deb
    Bee Thankful Raw Honey, Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    Siwolke said:”Multiplying was done by swarming, no brood combs were shifted. There was no comb hygiene, honey was taken out of brood combs too. ” Do you mean removing old black comb from hives? Deb
    It was the skep beekeeping time.

https://av.tib.eu/media/14378

You can´t shift frames with a skep. Some hives were emptied of bees, making packages, combining weak colonies...the brood left behind was killed and all combs harvested, honey and brood combs. The wax was melted and cleaned.
    It was all natural comb and the colonies built new.
    There was no chemicals used inside the hives.

In europe comb hygiene was started when beekeepers began to use chemicals against mites. Before, even with magazine beekeeping, honey out of brood combs was harvested.
    Last edited by SiWolKe; 12-09-2017 at 01:18 PM. Reason: spelling
    zone 8a, sc, dadant square, wax comb, tf, 4 years beekeeping
    www.vivabiene.de

Quote Originally Posted by Riskybizz View Post
    "I'm not beeless. Last time I was beeless was 2001. "..

Mike just wondering how your bee yards are doing these days. Do you mind sharing your current untreated colony numbers and overwintering rates the last couple of seasons. Are you still buying lots of package bees to replace dead outs each spring? I really have no idea how treatment free beekeepers are keeping numbers up these days. Thanks
    That would be interesting to know about your losses Mike. I stopped treating 3 years ago, not that I’m anti-treatment but I just don’t have the time nor the energy. My losses are a little higher, but not as bad as I thought. Capturing swarms is the way I replace dead outs. I usually lure 2 or 3 swarms from Tankbees every year but his bees are dwindling fast! I get several packages a year but they never seem to do as well as swarms.

duplicate, sorry

> Capturing swarms is the way I replace dead outs. I usually lure 2 or 3 swarms from Tankbees every year but his bees are dwindling fast!
    Charlie! All of us here on Beesource would love to learn your secret on how you know exactly whose swarms you are catching. A few years ago you "knew" that you had caught the first swarm of the year and that it had come from my hives. Now you "know" you are catching Tanks' swarm. Please tell us how to have the same brilliant insight that you do.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    > Capturing swarms is the way I replace dead outs. I usually lure 2 or 3 swarms from Tankbees every year but his bees are dwindling fast!
    Charlie! All of us here on Beesource would love to learn your secret on how you know exactly whose swarms you are catching. A few years ago you "knew" that you had caught the first swarm of the year and that it had come from my hives. Now you "know" you are catching Tanks' swarm. Please tell us how to have the same brilliant insight that you do.
    I’ll thank you to remember that I’m the Bay Area 2016 bait hive champion capturing one of YOUR swarms. I base it on circumstantial evidence. All the bits and pieces of information carefully assembled to lead a reasonable (or unreasonable) beekeeper to believe that more likely than not, that’s an Oliver Frank swarm!!!

17662BD1-7EFC-478A-801F-05B463DC4076.jpg

Now, as for Tanksbees, his bee yard is several blocks from mine in Hillsdale. Case closed!

D4519C20-F52A-4AAE-ADAA-735B35577C24.jpg

This is the coveted tree I place my bait hives to catch Tankbees bees every year.
    Last edited by Charlie B; 12-11-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12