Thread: WindOH

Default WindOH

I don't really like the part about carrying OHs outside to work them, so I made this thing. Working well so far! It's 3 frames deep; a little skinny. The back is a door that's 2 sheets of wood with 3/4 inch styrofoam sandwiched so it helps for winter (and summer). It sits next to my desk in my office. Very happily distracting! It's on a west window and the office gets lots of light. The girls don't mind and there's plenty of brood on the front face. I think the relative warmth of the office helps a bit. All of the vents are closed off right now. There's a large bottom vent and 4 side vents. Most of the rain is kept off by the roof overhang but the whole thing has been poly coated on the outside faces. There's a block of wood that can sit over the feeder hole when it's not in use.
    Right now i can see how much they have been consuming and the buildup of brood from the maple and other blooms. Time to feed again! Helps me keep track of things. I need to check all of my hives. ...another 100lbs of sugar...

Album

Default Re: WindOH

Well, I think that's nice, practical too. Plus you saved the cost of the glass.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by whiskers View Post
    Well, I think that's nice, practical too. Plus you saved the cost of the glass.
    Bill
    Thanks! The girls seem to enjoy it so far.

What a great idea! What type of silicone adhesive did you use? What is the distance glass-to-glass? I have all fixed pane or casement type double glazed windows that limit opportunities for inside observation hives, but this design gives me some additional possibilities.
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichM View Post
    What a great idea! What type of silicone adhesive did you use? What is the distance glass-to-glass? I have all fixed pane or casement type double glazed windows that limit opportunities for inside observation hives, but this design gives me some additional possibilities.
    Rich
    Thanks! It's right between 4 3/8 and 4 1/2 from glass to wood. The back is an insulated wooden door. The silicone is regular old 100% clear silicone adhesive. I gave it plenty of time to cure before introducing them.
    If your windows don't tilt down, you'll have to figure out a good way to hold it against the glass while it cures. It's actually pretty light weight. If you screwed braces to the inside that went all the way to the ground, that should work. If it shifts a little before curing, just cut away the excess silicone smeared on the glass. If it cures tilted slightly, that's no big deal for the bees because the level still works with the window axis. However, it's going to look wonky from the inside with such a perfect, right angled frame.