Default Beginner friend in Mentone Al.

I have a friend who just bought a cabin by a lake in Mentone Alabama. She said she'd like to start keeping bees but after many question she seemed overwhelmed. I suggested she read, and take a bee class and mentioned that she may be able to host a hive for a real beekeeper or at least be someones out yard.

I pointed her to http://www.lookoutmountainhoneybees.com/ for classes and maybe bees.
    Anyone know of a near by county association she could attend? She's very close to the Skyline camp.
    Any other local apiaries on lookout mountain?

Thanks
    Started April Fools Day 2017. 2 colonies, The plan, to be TF and foundationless.

Default Re: Beginner friend in Mentone Al.

RV, Not a great fan of clubs, so can't give advice in that arena. There are a few folks not far from her. I would suggest she may try to reach out to Squarepeg. He is active on this site. He is just west over the ridge in Scottsboro. He is knowledgeable about sources of stock from that area, and maybe would give a tour of a hive. Not speaking for him, so please reach out. He is a very nice gentleman.

you may read more about his adventures under the treatment free forum, at the top, he has documented his journey so to speak.

Kind regards,

Stonefly
    Stonefly7

I follow SP with great interest and know he would be an excellent resource for her but I wanted to avoid pointing her directly at him. She's starting completely by scratch and I think she'll need a lot of help/training.

The lookout mtn guys were the only one I found near by doing classes. I'm sure I've seen mention of others in the area but can't recall when/where I saw them.

I also pointed her to the The Alabama Beekeepers Association link to county associations http://www.k4vb.com/Regional%20Assoc...page%20v12.htm
    Started April Fools Day 2017. 2 colonies, The plan, to be TF and foundationless.

Sorry RV, I really don't know any folks close to Mentone. I thought SP might know better. You are correct about the mentor/coach part. I mention that need on another thread. As far as the associations go, too much politics involved for my liking. I can share off line.

My office is located in Vestavia Hills. If you would like, give me a shout sometime, we can have lunch and share stories.

Kind regards,

Stonefly7
    Stonefly7

I don't envy that drive from Cullman to VH.
    I'm always open to lunch. I usually work from home a couple of days a week.
    anyway, hopefully SP and some of the other north Alabama people will chime in.

Hey RV, sent you a PM. I will call SP and ask.
    Stonefly7

The Spring Symposium of the Alabama Beekeepers Association is February 4th (Next Saturday) in Clanton. They have an all-day beginners program that I did a couple of years ago and it was fantastic for a new beekeeper. Also, every major vendor will be at the Symposium.

good idea, I'll mention it to her.

pigeon mountain trading in lafayette, ga might be another option reasonably close to mentone.

extreme northeast alabama is where the feral bees that started the 20 year tf old line i am working with were collected.

if she gets in place prior to swarm season, i would definitely consider having some traps set up there.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I told her to catch those bees and if she didn't want them I'd come get them.

R_V, I am at Flat Rock, AL - not too far from Mentone and would love to make another local beek connection. If your friend is interested, you should be able to PM me for contact info.
    Donna

I'll check with her.
    Thanks