Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: 3rd week of my first mead/ here are my gravity readings so far.

Ok, I took some readings today. The before reading was on 2-2.

#1 1.046/1.034 #2 1.054/1.040 #3 1.022/1.006

I attempted to calculate abv as it stands now and came up with:

#1 og 1.071 sg 1.034=4.86
    #2 og 1.089 sg 1.040=6.43
    #3 og 1.075 sg 1.006=9.06

I tasted a little of each. They all taste ok or at least not fowl or spoiled.

There is also not a terrible amount of sediment on the bottoms of the glass fermenters.

Seems like it's doing what it's supposed to as are my bees. I have a 100% survival rate so far. I'm not used to everything going as planned. I'm out of my mind right now.
    Last edited by trottet1; 02-09-2017 at 03:22 PM.

It will be imposable to determine ABV because you added additional sugar during mid ferment and did not record the SG after adding it. The additional sugar would in give you a higher total SG than your starting SG. In any event if the ferment is still going let it go to dryness. As low ABV can spoil fairly easily. Once done you can asses your PH and determine preservative needs if any. If you really want to figure out ABV I can explain how to do so After it is finished.

And Congrats on the bees!

Thank You Tenbears. I'll check again in a week.

A half cup of sugar wouldn't significantly add to the gravity. A half cup weighs about 3.5 ounces=.21875 pounds. Multiply that by 45 gravity points (points per pound per gallon) for granulated sugar and you get 9.8 total gravity points. So take 9.8 and divide by the volume of the (individual) batch and you get the additional SG points that the sucrose addition lent. Easy peasy .
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Brewcat View Post
    A half cup of sugar wouldn't significantly add to the gravity. A half cup weighs about 3.5 ounces=.21875 pounds. Multiply that by 45 gravity points (points per pound per gallon) for granulated sugar and you get 9.8 total gravity points. So take 9.8 and divide by the volume of the (individual) batch and you get the additional SG points that the sucrose addition lent. Easy peasy .
    LOL.... yeah, easy peasy I prefer to use a vinometer and here is a link with a good description on how to use it http://www.hambletonbard.com/how-to-...vinometer.html

Gravity readings 7 days later.

1 is down 10 points to 1.024. 2 is down 12 points to 1.028 and 3 is down 6 points to 1.0.

My plan is to keep checking until all 3 stop moving. Then transfer to secondaries. (Moving to elevated surface the day before transfer).

Thanks benbrewcat for the input on that. I haven't had time to play with the math as my priorities are shifting to beekeeping planning/goals and research as spring is right around the corner. I have taken note of the formula and will revisit that in the future.

Yes. Maple syrup, beekeeping and now Mead making seem to converge in the spring! At least this year.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    Yes. Maple syrup, beekeeping and now Mead making seem to converge in the spring! At least this year.
    Time for a batch of Acer Mead? (PP. 367, "The Home Brewer's Companion", Charlie Papazian, 1994 edition.)
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

Quote Originally Posted by BadBeeKeeper View Post
    Time for a batch of Acer Mead?
    Yes, yes it is!! Anyone know where I can get some bulk Maple syrup for reasonable??

I've got two batches of Acerglyn in the secondary right now. One spiced....one not. Both tasted a little rough when I racked so it'll be a while before I test them again. Dark syrup from the tail end of last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    I've got two batches of Acerglyn in the secondary right now. One spiced....one not. Both tasted a little rough when I racked so it'll be a while before I test them again. Dark syrup from the tail end of last season.
    Syrup might be a different flavor...the recipe I mentioned calls for raw maple sap in place of water. I have not tapped any of my trees yet so I haven't tried it.
    Zone 4a/b

Syrup might be a different flavor...the recipe I mentioned calls for raw maple sap in place of water. I have not tapped any of my trees yet so I haven't tried it.
    Better Get Crackin. With the weather we have been having It is time. We are about done down here in the deep south! LOL

Yeah, I'm bringing the buckets down from storage next weekend. It won't be long I think for us to get the taps flowing. For some around here that tapped early, they got a pretty good flow a couple of weeks ago before the cold rolled in again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    Better Get Crackin. With the weather we have been having It is time. We are about done down here in the deep south! LOL
    I only recently began learning the basics of how to do it, and I haven't finished surveying and marking the trees (sugar maple and red maple). I don't have a lot of sugar maples, more red, and not a lot that are mature enough to tap.
    Zone 4a/b

I've dreamed for years of tapping our boxelder (narrow-leafed maple) but haven't yet taken the plunge. If anyone thinks to do so, take a gravity reading of the drawn sap please: one idea I've considered is simply using the sap instead of water in constituting the must. Probably would benefit from sulfiting.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

A friend of mine made syrup from boxelders and paper birch. Tasted like maple syrup.

Boxelder is in the maple family, I search them out intently looking for those that have been attacked by the ambrosia beetle. Most beautiful wood in the world! Anyway, I never imagined that syrup could be made from Birch. Sounds intriguing!

I've tasted birch sap/syrup, was different from maple. When I was a kid I used to get Birch Beer (like Root Beer) but I haven't seen it for a long time...and I think we are highjacking the thread...
    Zone 4a/b

...and I think we are highjacking the thread...
    I really don't mind at all. I am at a "sit and wait" point with my mead. If my topic can segue into a productive chat for others, then no harm done.

I will post updates and questions as needed (will probably take readings today and then ask about when to rack). In the mean time, have at it.

Todd

I've tasted birch sap/syrup, was different from maple. When I was a kid I used to get Birch Beer (like Root Beer) but I haven't seen it for a long time...and I think we are highjacking the thread...
    One last act of thievery I still make birch beer But it is made from the root of the brown birch. Not paper bark, Which with the weather we are having I should get cracking myself. We only have a very few paper bark birch around here, But when I lived in Massachusetts they were everywhere.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast