Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cheap Honey on the shelves

A small country store nearby is selling Rich's 100% Pure Honey, packaged in Tennessee. They selling it at $3.98 for 22 ounces. No idea what they pay for it. Does anyone else see this product near you?

Default Re: Cheap Honey on the shelves

Not that bad. Then again I guess our prices don't compare. I was shocked to see
    5€/500grams this autumn. That, however, seems to have ended. It was terrible year for honey, rains for most of the main crop time... I may actually go to the shop and offer them a deal around april, I don't have enough to sell for more than few months anyways, and by that time I think most domestic producers will have run out of honey so one can dictate the price.
    Contrasting opinions from northern Europe.

I can believe it. I've read many times that sugar syrup is much cheaper than pure honey...

It won't have any influence on what I sell my honey for. I just have to hear comments from non-buyers about my price being too high.

Hey Carol. Funny, I just saw where a local beek was selling for $13 a quart. Locally, we normally get $16 a quart. I am guessing it is goldenrod, but I don't know that.

Cadence, tell your customers your honey is pure,local honey, you may have to explain about local being better for allergies, but don't compare yours to the junk.

No I havent seen that label. But I have seen a local guys label and he has several stores selling his honey. All local and lots of different flavors. With the amount I see and the other flavors. There is just no way. Maybe a locally placed label on a jar of something from far away. There are a lot of re-labelers or whatever they are called here and every where. Just explain your product and explain the processing of honey and the effects of heating and ultra filtering and false labeling.And ill always ask want to see the girls? Make your price and stick to it.

Just wondering what the price of honey in Finland could possibly have to do with honey prices in Alabama?
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

It's packed by Webers in Savannah TN. There's a store called Rich's in Savannah also they've been around for 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Riskybizz View Post
    Just wondering what the price of honey in Finland could possibly have to do with honey prices in Alabama?
    About as much as it has to do with honey packed in Tennessee sold in Alabama.

Nope wrong post
    sc-bee

Well if its pure honey thats a good price. thats like bulk price. I can usually get $12 a pound for mesquite

I suspect our Finn poster was referring to a short-lived variation in price (probably to the low side) from the usual price in his area. We don't have the reference information about their usual pricing. Given the communication and transportation links which exist over the world now, local "blips" in price can be correlated with each other.

I've appreciated his input on various threads. As he says, "Contrasting opinions from northern Europe"

Michael
    I thought I made a mistake once ..., but I was wrong.
    (David Sebree. No, not that David Sebree)

Why are they selling their honey off so cheap?
    I don't know what prices usually are in AL or TN , but that seems very low.

Quote Originally Posted by appalachianoutdoors View Post
    I can believe it. I've read many times that sugar syrup is much cheaper than pure honey...
    Is there any way to verify if "honey" is actually pure honey and not sugar syrup?

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Drone View Post
    It's packed by Webers in Savannah TN. There's a store called Rich's in Savannah also they've been around for 50 years.
    Weber Foods is Louis and Vickie Weber. They also own/owned another business called L & L Trim, Inc., which appears to be a cleaning service (but is also listed as a 'specialty foods distributor'), and their e-mail is listed as lltriminc (at) bellsouth.net (may not be current)...a more recent e-mail addy is listed as louis (at) deanfoods.com (but I don't think it is correct, Dean Foods is a BIG company out of Dallas). Info indicates they have been doing business since about 1983. Phone number seems to be (731)925-2889, if someone wanted to call and ask.

Rich's store is a hardware store owned by T. F. Rich.
    Last edited by BadBeeKeeper; 01-12-2017 at 07:42 AM.
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

Quote Originally Posted by razoo View Post
    Why are they selling their honey off so cheap?
    I don't know what prices usually are in AL or TN , but that seems very low.
    Those prices are way lower than what local beekeepers prices are, less than half of local price. How they can do it with shipping costs and reselling to a retailer, I don't know.

That's what, about $2 lb packaged and labeled at retail?
    Funny honey IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by razoo View Post
    Is there any way to verify if "honey" is actually pure honey and not sugar syrup?
    Yes, but it comes with a hefty diagnostic lab price tag
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

OP says the cheap honey is packaged in Tennessee. There's no telling just where that honey was produced. It could very well have come out of barrels imported from China or India before it ended up with a "packaged in Tennessee" label.

I bought a part for my pickup a couple weeks back. The box read "packaged in the USA" then in smaller lettering, "assembled in Mexico using components made in USA, China and Vietnam".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast