Default Correlation does not imply causation

Or cum hoc ergo prompter hoc; one of the biggest logical fallacious that continues to appear in this sub over and over again. I have come across a scientific study linking cheese consumption to strangulation by bedsheets (among many other surprising correlations). My hopes are that people remember some of these examples when they start linking things that are not connected.

Have fun.

http://tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Default Re: Correlation does not imply causation

I call BS!

I have seen it happen often enough I know that the waving of tree limbs causes the wind to blow!
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    I call BS!

I have seen it happen often enough I know that the waving of tree limbs causes the wind to blow!
    Unfortunately it has been demonstrated many times here that very few people understand the words correlation, implication, and causation. Kind of hard to argue with people who don't have any concept of these terms. The usual counter argument from these people is to spout meaningless words such as TOXINS, sub-lethal dose, and synergistics effects. Not even understanding what the words mean.

Did i just use the term "these people"? Man I am going to hell for this.

Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

If I gave Nabber a sub-lethal dose of two toxins that demonstrated synergistic effects, would that mean when he sits down to eat that his mouth would no longer fly open every time his elbow bends? After all, we can clearly see that elbows that bend freely lead to weight gain. Those toxins would stop all that.

Must be very late at night people. You won't get out alive, but you can at least enjoy the scenery on your way through.
    NW Alabama, 46 years, 24 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    Unfortunately it has been demonstrated many times here that very few people understand the words correlation, implication, and causation. Kind of hard to argue with people who don't have any concept of these terms. The usual counter argument from these people is to spout meaningless words such as TOXINS, sub-lethal dose, and synergistics effects. Not even understanding what the words mean.

Did i just use the term "these people"? Man I am going to hell for this.

It's common on many other forums too, when people with little or no [science] education (and who are deficient in the use of logic and rational deduction) try to argue concepts that require at least a -basic- understanding of science and how it works (scientific process, definition of terms such as hypothesis and theory, replication and peer review). It can be frustrating, at times...and sometimes rather amusing.
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b