Thread: hop guard

Default hop guard

seen an ad for hop guard varroa treatment, does it work or is it an organic treatment for those who don't want to use chemicals ?

Default Re: hop guard

I have used it and was not pleased with the results. I would not use it again.

Quote Originally Posted by beefarmer View Post
    seen an ad for hop guard varroa treatment, does it work or is it an organic treatment for those who don't want to use chemicals ?
    I think the "organic" tag is one of its biggest attractions. I have used the original form that I believe has been changed in some fashion. It did work but is messy and comb cells under where the strips hung were chewed back nearly to the midrib and did not get redrawn and used till next season. I followed up with formic on meat pads which is much cheaper and it also carries (after a fashion) the organic acid tag though it is certainly produced synthetically in an industrial process. Same can be said for Oxalic acid!

I would choose either one of the latter or thymol compounds before I would revisit the Hopguard.
    Frank

Thank you guys, looks like I got the answer that I sorta thought it was.

They have Hop Guard II now, I used the original when it came out, wasn't very effective at all and made my bees mad. Also, it was messy and bees that got drenched when applying the strips would die, so if your queen happened to get be under a strip or catch the drips.... Haven't heard much about Hop Guard 2 though.

Lots of people gave it a shot when it first came out, dissapointing results reported and not many use it now.
    "Thinking Inside The Box"

Quote Originally Posted by beefarmer View Post
    Beefarmer: Hopguard 2 is best used as a treatment for a broodless colony. I believe Randy Oliver did some of his testing in it. Check out his site.
    Bee Thankful Raw Honey
    Proverbs 16:24 Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

I used it. It was short acting but overall not very effective. I might try it again this year in a Nuc but not my larger hives.