Angry Sometimes I am SO dumb ...

...that I scare myself.

This past fall I thought I'd be a clever beekeeper and consolidate 12 so-so hives into 5 nice strong hives. This left me with about 4 boxes of frames with honey and pollen and decent comb that just didn't fit into my 5 hives. My solution was to stack everything into one empty hive. I sprayed all the frames with Bt-A. Oh and I added the extra sugar blocks on top--about 5 of them if memory serves. Then I sealed everything up tight and left it all sitting in an open slot on one of my benches. Since then our coldest night was about 19 degrees, so everything got a good freezing to kill off any moths.

Today things are warming up nicely so I decided it was time to review what assets I have available and make some plans for the new season. LOLOL This is where the dumb part comes in.

Apparently I did not seal things up as well as I thought I did. Everything has been robbed out--the honey, the pollen, and even the comb! All that is left are empty frames of plastic foundation. They even stole the 5 sugar blocks! Seeing those blocks gone made me think they must really be starving to have eaten their own blocks and had to go out and steal more. Nope. I checked. They haven't even started on their own sugar blocks.

I guess it's more fun to go steal stuff than use what you've already got sitting right there in front of you.

The longer I keep bees the more I realize that I know NOTHING about them!

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper and Rusty's Bees.

Default Re: Sometimes I am SO dumb ...

I guess it's more fun to go steal stuff than use what you've already got sitting right there in front of you.
    I'm sure that you would also be complaining if you thought you had bees that didn't utilize all available forage opportunities!

... if you are a bee, when is "enough" enough?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

You did say that "you wanted 5 nice strong hives"! They should be good to go.
    Frank

The good new is that you can always scrape a plastic frame, dip in fresh wax and add for next year. How ever I prefer wax sheets over plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Hills Farm View Post
    Everything has been robbed out--the honey, the pollen, and even the comb! All that is left are empty frames of plastic foundation.
    Priceless,, someone once wrote that bees don't steal pollen from comb, guess that is a myth
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

[QUOTE=
    Everything has been robbed out--the honey, the pollen, and even the comb! All that is left are empty frames of plastic foundation.

Thy robbed out the wax comb!!
    Are you sure you or someone did not clean them all up.
    i have never seen anything like that.
    Paul 15 years 15 hives TF

I had a chipmunk set in to demolish some frames of excess honey I pulled out last spring. It certainly was not concerned with leaving the comb useable! The pellet gun put an end to that. Ants will chew through the midrib too when they are cleaning out pollen from wax foundation.

Is there any chance that it was something other than your bees?
    Last edited by crofter; 01-11-2017 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Remove incomplete quote
    Frank

Bummer. I hate robbing.
    Go down to harbor freight and get yourself a "mesh tarp." They are not at all expensive. Made of shadecloth. They come in several sizes. You will actually want several because once you have one you'll realize how awesome they are and you'll want another.
    We have all our stored comb (supers, deadouts...) in boxes under good fitting lids. It's all in one of our nearby yards under a big shadecloth net (I have several of the harbor freight ones, but we also have one really big net that I bought from a greenhouse supply.) the net puts another barrier between the bees and the comb. You will see them peck on the net sometimes, but they have a hard time getting in, and out and really keeps the robbing down.
    Now you know for next year.

I can understand the pollen and honey being taken by the bees for consumption/storage. But 35-40 frames of wax! Where do they store all that (assuming their current frames are drawn)?
    Zone 7a - 1650ft

I never dreamed they could make off with wax and pollen. Honey? Sure! But wax and pollen?!?

And it pretty much HAD to be the bees because nothing was disturbed. Oh, they did leave wax droppings on the bottom screen but otherwise the hive was so clean I couldn't tell it had ever been used!

Live and learn, I guess.

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper and Rusty's Bees.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Hills Farm View Post

Rusty
    It may be of some comfort to know that you are not alone. The more I learn about bees (actually the more lessons they give me), the more I realize how little I really know about them. It's humbling. Just when you think you might have it figured out, they hit the reset button.
    To everything there is a season....