Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Default Re: Oxalic, Glycerin, Shop Towels - a promising stopgap flyswatter

Tipped the mix over the towels and this time let the towels absorb as much as they would hold, which is 50 to 55 grams of mix per towel. Probably overkill but after the previous failure I just felt like giving more rather than less. I also laid the towels out in bunches of around 20 so they would cool quick.

Oldtimer can you be more specific. I can imagine several scenarios where I would "tip the mix over the towels" Exactly what did you do, please?

I am also wondering how come you did not do any washes previous to applying the towels on your hobbyist friend's colonies? Then we would have a good before and after scenario. I know it is a pain to do, but at least on 2-3 hives.

I do like that you are making some efforts and inroads with these towels, that I am sure will benefit many, myself included.

I would like to do some washes on my colonies to test our varroa level, but the weather has been cool and very wet. The winter bees have not regenerated themselves yet from lack of pollen. I will wait until conditions improve before doing washes. I feel washes are just too important to not do them.

Jean-Marc

Put dry towels in a bin. Tipped hot mix over them and dunked and poked at them till they were fully saturated. lifted towels out by hand and let drip a few seconds then laid out in small bunches to cool. Then put in different bin.

Didn't do washes on the hobby hives cos I was too lazy. I do know the wash counts of the hives at my test site and will be doing more washes there in a month so will get the needed data from that.
    "Thinking Inside The Box"

Ok, thank you for that. Last year I was real happy with my OAV results but would sure like something else other than formic for late spring/early summer treatments if necessary. THis treatment method could fill that gap.

Jean-Marc

Jean-Marc
    Just some feedback,
    Randy mentioned the importance of 30g per towel because too much glycerin decreased the rate of towel tear down.

following.

Has anyone tried putting the "formula" in a container and then applying a vacuum to the container to help dispersing it in the towells?

Quote Originally Posted by MT204 View Post
    Has anyone tried putting the "formula" in a container and then applying a vacuum to the container to help dispersing it in the towells?
    I know woodworkers that do this to stabilize wood and do acrylic castings. It works. you can use a pressurized paint can and set it up to create a vacuum. Takes a bit of tinkering. Just saying it can be done but is a bit on the pricey side. Some make them so you can apply vac and then pressurize to get better penetration. I don't think this would be necessary with paper towels.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)

If you are a woodworker make one of these and kill 2 birds...

http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/welcome.htm

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021