Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Default Re: Oxalic, Glycerin, Shop Towels - a promising stopgap flyswatter

Following. Thanks for the work and for sharing the info, everyone.
    Rob Koss

Any more updates on this treatment ? Is it working the way you expected it ? I actually would love to try this out on some hives as a trial.

Thanks.
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Ben:

What's stopping you?

Jean-Marc

Quote Originally Posted by jean-marc View Post
    Ben:

What's stopping you?

Jean-Marc
    My biggest concern is safety for my bees. In my particular case this year I'm planning on queen rearing and significantly expanding my hive count. If trying an expirimental treatment adverse effects my hives I'm screwed. I read through the topic a few weeks ago but don't recall if there was any talk about effects of temperature and humidity variations effecting the safety and effectiveness of the oxalic acid. We still have temps down into the 20s projected but also had 60s and sun this past weekend. I'd imagine that this is not the weather randy has been expiramenting with over in California.
    Not Michael Bush. My name is Dan. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bush_84 View Post
    My biggest concern is safety for my bees. In my particular case this year I'm planning on queen rearing and significantly expanding my hive count. If trying an expirimental treatment adverse effects my hives I'm screwed. I read through the topic a few weeks ago but don't recall if there was any talk about effects of temperature and humidity variations effecting the safety and effectiveness of the oxalic acid. We still have temps down into the 20s projected but also had 60s and sun this past weekend. I'd imagine that this is not the weather randy has been expiramenting with over in California.
    No pain no gain! You will have to try on your own to get you own data. Or stick with multiple OAV.

I don't use oxalic acid in any form right now. I have typically alternated hopguard and apivar in the fall. I do love the idea of using this shop towel treatment. Ill keep watching how things unfold and further updates and maybe test it on a nuc this summer.

If you have been brave enough to try Hopguard, you will likely find OA / Glycerine towels less risky to the bees.

For me anyway, I put varying formulations and quantities of OA / Glycerine shop towels into 300 hives and although it did not get all the mites, I have been through all the hives since and not one shows any negative effects due to the OA / Glycerine.
    "Thinking Inside The Box"

Quote Originally Posted by jean-marc View Post
    Ben:

What's stopping you?

Jean-Marc
    Nothing is really stopping me, I just like to find out as much as possible regarding any tweaking that has been done, I keep up with R.O's site and haven't seen any updates lately. I might give it a shot soon, my mite loads are very low and I would like to keep it that way
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    If you have been brave enough to try Hopguard, you will likely find OA / Glycerine towels less risky to the bees.

For me anyway, I put varying formulations and quantities of OA / Glycerine shop towels into 300 hives and although it did not get all the mites, I have been through all the hives since and not one shows any negative effects due to the OA / Glycerine.
    Care to expand upon that? I guess I had not heard of any issues with hopguard and I have not had any. I know there were issues with having to repeat treatments but I didn't know there were actually any other issues.

So far this year, my mite counts are under control, and I am in the middle of the main flow here in NE Florida. I am not a commercial beek, but rather a sideliner with about 20 hives. I find it VERY convenient to have these towels pre-made, and as I check my hives if one of them gets a higher count than I would like, I just put the towels on the hive and move on. The towels keep very well in a ziplock back in the refrigerator until they are needed (again .. I am storing dozens not hundreds of towels)

I don't actually know if they even need to be kept in the refrigerator, but I keep it next to my syrup bucket.

We learned through Oldtimers experience that heat control during the formulation is an important factor. Dont let your recipe get too hot. 160 degrees max, microwave might not be the best way to heat the formula once the OA has been added. You might be able to get away with heating the gycerine by itself in the microwave to get to your initial temperature.

I did some experimentation with Randy Oliver by adding Thymol to the OA/Glycerine mixture to encourage the chewing of the towels. i settled on 1g of Thymol per ml of Glycerin as the best ratio.

If anyone else wants to test or provide feedback on the Thymol addition, here is the recipe that I sent along to Randy.

To make one towel with 1g Thymol per ml Glycerin
    12g OA
    13ml Glycerin
    5ml Water
    Thymol 13g

Scale up recipe for number of towels to be made.

Chaz
    Last edited by chazman; 04-30-2017 at 06:05 AM.
    Jacksonville, FL
    Zone 9a

Quote Originally Posted by Bush_84 View Post
    Care to expand upon that? I guess I had not heard of any issues with hopguard and I have not had any. I know there were issues with having to repeat treatments but I didn't know there were actually any other issues.
    Yes. If you search Beesource for hopguard threads quite a few issues have been reported and not many people use it now.
    Main issues have been queen losses, and the product not working. To a lesser extent, bees absconding, which seems mainly when applied in hot weather.
    "Thinking Inside The Box"

Thymol in what form is best, Thymol oil or crystals? A good source? When should thymol be added to the mixture?

I believe thymol refers to thymol, and Thyme oil refers to a plant extrative that is a mixture of aromatic compounds, mainly thymol, but not exclusively..

There are many sources for thymol, You could try Belwood Aromatics, 862 702-8980 Please report back how they treat you.

Crazy Roland

Thymol , blah
    Does anyone actually watch how the bees act and react around that treatment?

Made 2 rolls of shop towels which is enough for 112 hives from his current formula. Going to put it on only 80 hives of my own and give the rest to a buddy to put on. The hives I'm going to put it on, I had alcohol wash 13 hives and recorded the number of mites they had which they didn't have a high mite load but did have mites. So in a month I will go back and check those hives to see if this has treatment had worked or not. Also I well keep track of those 80 hives on how they do from now on to next year in the almonds to see if they are any good or not. These hives also will be taken to the hills in CA in a month to make honey in the California Holley bush, so I'll see if this treatment will decrease or increase the amount of honey they make...hopefully increase!

Note beside that I treated two hives this winter with this stuff. I didn't mark one of the hives so I couldn't locate that hive but the one I did mark and watched became to be a absolute boiler in the almonds and still is. This hive is a breeder queen for my queen operation also!

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122