Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Default Re: Oxalic, Glycerin, Shop Towels - a promising stopgap flyswatter

Tipped the mix over the towels and this time let the towels absorb as much as they would hold, which is 50 to 55 grams of mix per towel. Probably overkill but after the previous failure I just felt like giving more rather than less. I also laid the towels out in bunches of around 20 so they would cool quick.

Oldtimer can you be more specific. I can imagine several scenarios where I would "tip the mix over the towels" Exactly what did you do, please?

I am also wondering how come you did not do any washes previous to applying the towels on your hobbyist friend's colonies? Then we would have a good before and after scenario. I know it is a pain to do, but at least on 2-3 hives.

I do like that you are making some efforts and inroads with these towels, that I am sure will benefit many, myself included.

I would like to do some washes on my colonies to test our varroa level, but the weather has been cool and very wet. The winter bees have not regenerated themselves yet from lack of pollen. I will wait until conditions improve before doing washes. I feel washes are just too important to not do them.

Jean-Marc

Put dry towels in a bin. Tipped hot mix over them and dunked and poked at them till they were fully saturated. lifted towels out by hand and let drip a few seconds then laid out in small bunches to cool. Then put in different bin.

Didn't do washes on the hobby hives cos I was too lazy. I do know the wash counts of the hives at my test site and will be doing more washes there in a month so will get the needed data from that.
    "Thinking Inside The Box"

Ok, thank you for that. Last year I was real happy with my OAV results but would sure like something else other than formic for late spring/early summer treatments if necessary. THis treatment method could fill that gap.

Jean-Marc

Jean-Marc
    Just some feedback,
    Randy mentioned the importance of 30g per towel because too much glycerin decreased the rate of towel tear down.

following.

Has anyone tried putting the "formula" in a container and then applying a vacuum to the container to help dispersing it in the towells?

Quote Originally Posted by MT204 View Post
    Has anyone tried putting the "formula" in a container and then applying a vacuum to the container to help dispersing it in the towells?
    I know woodworkers that do this to stabilize wood and do acrylic castings. It works. you can use a pressurized paint can and set it up to create a vacuum. Takes a bit of tinkering. Just saying it can be done but is a bit on the pricey side. Some make them so you can apply vac and then pressurize to get better penetration. I don't think this would be necessary with paper towels.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)

If you are a woodworker make one of these and kill 2 birds...

http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/welcome.htm

Following

Oldtimer
    It has been a couple of weeks since your last check. Have the bees finaly removed your folded towel and have you did any mite checks on them again or just give up on that batch?
    Thanks
    gww
    zone 5b

Haven't been near any of my own hives since then, been doing govt. inspections on other peoples hives. Will do a mite count 4 weeks after the new towels went in, and at that point will make a decision what to do with all the hives and will update here with the mite counts.

Oldtimer
    Thanks for the report.
    gww
    zone 5b

He updated his website today

https://www.ingredientdepot.com/coll...iant=467523997 If you need a supplier for Glycerin , here is a good one Looks like for Canadian shipping only, sorry folks.
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

I mixed up a batch using his new updated method with the half rolls of paper towels. It was pretty easy, the rolls soaked up all the liquid after being flipped over once. It took me about a week to finish getting all the hives treated so I stored the rolls in a zip lock bag and they stored well. I could not tell any difference from when I started until a finished the next week. Hopefully I will have some good results in about 1 month.

Amazon is where I ordered everything from. If you search Oxalic acid on Amazon the Glycerin will come up on the bottom of the page as a commonly purchased item with the Oxalic.

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    If you search Oxalic acid on Amazon the Glycerin will come up on the bottom of the page as a commonly purchased item with the Oxalic.
    funny how that works!

Went back to check the test yard today and some success, of sorts.

The test hives had increased mite numbers after the first towel application to 4 to 5 mites per 300 bee sample per hive. So at that time I changed out the towels to a different recipe incorporating some water and had been better temperature controlled while mixing, and used a larger dose per hive. Those same hives tested today at 0 to 2 mites per 300 bee sample, except for one hive that for reasons I could not see has gone up to 16 mites in the 300 bee sample.

So for most of the hives the new recipe has decreased mites.

Looked at a non test site yard treated with the first round of towels, and mite numbers have increased considerably. There is no time left this season for more experimenting, it's now important to sort the mites so I'll still have some bees next spring. So other than the hives that got the second recipe towels, the rest of the hives will get treated with bayvarol over the next few days.

I feel like this method has potential, but somehow I haven't quite been able to nail it yet. So looking forward to see how things pan out for the experimentally inclined come fall in the USA.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-17-2017 at 09:42 PM.

Interesting... thx Oldtimer

Oldtimer
    Thanks for doing the work and letting us know the out come.
    gww
    zone 5b

Thank you for the update, Oldtimer.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast