Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: 3D printed low cost (10 dollar) bee insemination equipment

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    $225 quote from a local 3D printer.
    You can buy a cheap 3D printer from China for 200 bugs, and print 3 devices for free (They include a roll of filament within the packet)

Surprising to hear that printing is really expensive in US....

In my country it will be at least the quarter of that bill ....

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    seems about right
    Did you remove "insemination_export.stl" before sending the files to the printer?
    That file is an assembly of all the parts so It might cut your costs per unit if the qoate included it
    I had him ignore it, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by cemoka View Post
    You can buy a cheap 3D printer from China for 200 bugs, and print 3 devices for free (They include a roll of filament within the packet)

Surprising to hear that printing is really expensive in US....

In my country it will be at least the quarter of that bill ....
    Cemoka, that's kind of what I was thinking. That it was bordering on where it would make sense to buy the printer. My father-in-law and I both are interested in 3D printing. I don't have a really deep interest, but just think it would be neat to mess around with. If I could get it done for about 1/4 of that price I'd probably have it printed just so I could goof around with it.

Honestly though, this is an estimate from one company. I could maybe find a guy who has a printer in his basement and he might do it for the cost of materials and a case of beer. Agorism.

Apparently I need to get out more - I had to look up "Agorism" ...

Agorism is a libertarian social philosophy that advocates creating a society in which all relations between people are voluntary exchanges by means of counter-economics, thus engaging with aspects of peaceful revolution.

More here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agorism
    I have bartered for various items with friends/neighbors. I didn't realize that today bartering had evolved into such a fancy concept.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Apparently I need to get out more - I had to look up "Agorism" ...
    In a country where people are tossed in jail for selling mexican food without blessing from the state (http://time.com/4561555/209-food-spot-facebook-ceviche/), bartering does deserve a better term.

Glad you said that Graham...I looked it up and came back to the thread to see your your clarification of agorism.
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Smile Re: 3D printed low cost (10 dollar) bee insemination equipment

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    I had him ignore it, yes.

Cemoka, that's kind of what I was thinking. That it was bordering on where it would make sense to buy the printer. My father-in-law and I both are interested in 3D printing. I don't have a really deep interest, but just think it would be neat to mess around with. If I could get it done for about 1/4 of that price I'd probably have it printed just so I could goof around with it.

Honestly though, this is an estimate from one company. I could maybe find a guy who has a printer in his basement and he might do it for the cost of materials and a case of beer. Agorism.
    I think you should search the facebook groups on 3D printing.... You can ask for help .... Even you could find a volunteer who might print for a roll of filament.

Try.. https://www.facebook.com/groups/makerbot/?fref=ts for example.

But I advice you to wait until the first queen is inseminated.

i just watched a video ad on the practical machinest's site a couple of minutes ago... now they are 3d printing metal. not just soft stuff but aircraft alloys and tool steels. 3d printing will likely get cheaper as time goes on.

Test drive without imbus bolts.... Seems OK

Test drive without imbus bolts.... Seems OK

Very cool! Looks like you have plenty of degrees of freedom to get the job done. One possible nit, having experience using a quality metal instrument, it appears that you may need to make the syringe carriage a bit smoother. This is a critical degree of freedom and one where it really helps to have smooth micro adjustments.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    ...One possible nit, having experience using a quality metal instrument...
    While I was watching instructional videos of II, I thought it might be a good plan use this printed apparatus and substitute metal for plastic in the tools actually contacting the queen. Those tools shouldn't be that expensive. What does everyone think of that?

Hi all dears
    I tried and worked to home design and making homemade and very cheep II system since last year to now and i reached to many aims. but i see and this hot post today and i'm very happy to this.

my system is not regular system as you seen that and some parts make different to regulars. but it acts which is other systems act.

my camera is far from me but when i may take photo from system upload to you. that is very cheep.

Thanks lot dears

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    While I was watching instructional videos of II, I thought it might be a good plan use this printed apparatus and substitute metal for plastic in the tools actually contacting the queen. Those tools shouldn't be that expensive. What does everyone think of that?
    I thought something similar. If you print the device and leave out the rack and pinion for the syringe carriage and then substitute in precision metal components, then this should produce the desired movement. I have zero knowledge with 3d printing, but observing the motion in the video suggests that (at least for this prototype) it may be too course to yield success.

Perhaps moving away from a rack and pinion would be a cheaper solution? Maybe a syringe carriage on a dovetail track with some type of lever that could produce very fine motion?

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    I thought something similar. If you print the device and leave out the rack and pinion for the syringe carriage and then substitute in precision metal components, then this should produce the desired movement. I have zero knowledge with 3d printing, but observing the motion in the video suggests that (at least for this prototype) it may be too course to yield success.

Perhaps moving away from a rack and pinion would be a cheaper solution? Maybe a syringe carriage on a dovetail track with some type of lever that could produce very fine motion?
    Insemination Equipment is not a big deal.

Look at the photos of the instruments used in past 80 years....

Insemination Equipment is not a big deal.

Look at the photos of the instruments used in past 80 years....
    Please don't take my comments as critical. I'm very impressed with your work. I was just trying to provide feedback based upon my experiences using II.

Great job Cemoka, We can probably change bits and pieces as we work through the 3D printed systems, I have already printed a micro manipulator that has very fine adjustments so everyone will be able to do modifications to suit themselves.
    Johno

Thumbs Up Re: 3D printed low cost (10 dollar) bee insemination equipment

Cemoka, when will you be able to test your equipment on a real queen? We are interested in your progress.

Cemoka's from Istanbul', and Istanbul's climate's supposed to be like Washington, DC's. I bet he'll have virgin queens he can test his equipment with in May.

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    Cemoka, when will you be able to test your equipment on a real queen? We are interested in your progress.
    Trying to gather the other stuff like Co2 tube etc.... I have the microscope ... So , as mentioned I have to wait till April or May... to try it on a queen.... But I hope to test it with a queen like model... before testing it on a real one.

PS: I have never inseminated before... Even get closer to an II

I see a new chapter in our beekeeping history book today.
    Pretty soon everyone can afford to own their own simple II gadget.
    Now only if there is another way to extract the drone's semen so that it will produce more
    like the bulls. Not even sure if the same drone is reusable. Soon we can overnight ship the
    drone semen all over the world for exchange and not be limited to the bee genetics we have here. Other
    country can also get some of our mite resistant bees as well.
    Last edited by beepro; 01-16-2017 at 02:38 AM.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Made in one hour from plywood cost five dollars.

This could be printed with slight alterations.

https://postimg.org/image/wsj593r53/

https://postimg.org/image/tmyjiw8iv/

From thread

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...56#post1506856

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast