Thread: Polar Plunge

Default Polar Plunge

About 2 degrees today with a -20 wind chill and my kid is going to jump in the lake today. How many of you have done the polar plunge.

Default Re: Polar Plunge

I did it in Germany on a frozen lake with a hole in the middle. It was ridiculously cold

I fell through the ice when I was ice fishing once. It had snowed the night before and covered up a 4ft by 2ft hole someone had cut with a chainsaw. The whole lake and of course I walked right into it. Does that count? Rolled a canoe once duck hunting and sank a kayak(too many decoys and geese) on the Ohio River in January goose hunting. All three times so cold i couldn't even talk. But intentionally, uh no. My kid did it with some classmates at WVU a few years back but he is never cold. I always am.

Many times, and under many names! I was a slow learner! LOL
    It is a tall, right handed, world! I am neither!!!!

> How many of you have done the polar plunge.

I've done many a sweat lodge when it was -27 F or so. You come outside and your hair instantly freezes. No need to do a polar plunge, but some people roll in the snow real quick and then get dressed. I prefer to just get dressed quickly... I've heard of people jumping in the creek after on winter days, but I've never had a clean creek handy to jump into...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Dan, you are supposed to do it on New Years day are you still working up your nerve?
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by minz View Post
    Dan, you are supposed to do it on New Years day are you still working up your nerve?
    At 60 years old my nerve is long gone I'll let my 16 year old do it and I'll just donate the money for the charity. They do the plunge on the day we have the ice fishing contest makes a good break in the day to watch the kids freeze.
    Last edited by Dan the bee guy; 01-09-2017 at 10:14 PM.

I've been doing reading about cold water swimming and how it is supposed to be really good for you! The ice is coming off our alpine lakes right now, I think I'll go for a swim! Not going to lie, I'm scared. But I think it will be somewhat fun!
    Teal
    Instagram: runtealrun

Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    I've been doing reading about cold water swimming and how it is supposed to be really good for you! The ice is coming off our alpine lakes right now, I think I'll go for a swim! Not going to lie, I'm scared. But I think it will be somewhat fun!
    A few years ago I took a little swim in Lake Michigan in the spring. I didn't mind the cold water but it was so cold it was painful, I was trying to see how long I could take it.

Long time ago in NH. I'd love to do what Michael described.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Yeah that's what I'm going to do. I'll let you know how it goes!
    Teal

I've never understood the attraction. You guys have at it. I'll stick with the hot tub, no pain there.
    To everything there is a season....

My Dad once accidentally dumped me out of the back of a boat in late November during really cold weather. I wanted to say things that I shouldn't have said, but I was too cold and in shock to talk for a few minutes. I'm pretty sure there were no health benefits.

My fingers go numb if I'm in a room with an air conditioner on. I wear a double-layer thermal union suit from Sept. to May. I was diving off the Dry Tortugas in the Gulf of Mexico in June, and had to keep getting back in the boat to get warm. Ain't no blankety-blank way I'm jumping in any water if the outside temperature is under 85*.
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

Quote Originally Posted by BadBeeKeeper View Post
    My fingers go numb if I'm in a room with an air conditioner on. I wear a double-layer thermal union suit from Sept. to May. I was diving off the Dry Tortugas in the Gulf of Mexico in June, and had to keep getting back in the boat to get warm. Ain't no blankety-blank way I'm jumping in any water if the outside temperature is under 85*.
    Yeah....I've yet to do it. I keep waiting for it to warm up.
    Teal

Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    Yeah....I've yet to do it. I keep waiting for it to warm up.
    I was starting to think you had drowned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the bee guy View Post
    I was starting to think you had drowned.
    Haha! Every time I've tried to go to this specific lake something has come up, mainly snow. Lol.
    Teal

Yay would never do it I would die