Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Constant mite removal management

Hi, All!

The day time temp. was around 55ish and night time was frosty lately.
    Today was another mite cap brood clean up day. Starting around noon all the small patches of the cap brood frames got
    moved into the mite bee bomb nuc hive. After brushing off the attaching bees and finding the queen to make sure she is in the new brood
    nest, the remaining 4 cap brood frames got transferred over to the mite bee bomb nuc hive. Make sure to find the queen inside before moving on. I only overwinter 4 frames nucs for easy mite management. This will result in a cleaner nuc hive in the parent hive since they only have 4 frames of bees to manipulate with. These are the big fat winter bees from the Nov. hatch waiting to explode on the earliest of Spring. After this 3rd cap broods removal this hive should be 99% mite free.
    And taking advantage of the long live winter bees should do the trick for this nuc hive. To replaced the removed cap brood frames, I
    have 4 old drawn frames of the small cells size swapped in.
    The top box of the mite bee bomb nuc hive should be clear of cap broods by now. I then removed 5 drawn
    frames from the top box that have very little bees attached. They all had moved down to the bottom brood box after the
    cap broods from Nov. had already emerged. So all the clean drawn frames got put inside another deep hive
    box stacked on top of the parent hive which is 99% mite free for the coming Spring expansion. And rotated in are the cap brood frames from the parent hive.
    The parent hive is a VSH hive with a Cordovan laying queen. If I remove all the cap
    broods again in another week or so then it will be 99.9% mite free since not all free running mites will be inside the cap broods per any cap cycle.
    What do you think about my cap brood frames removal strategy to clean up the hive a bit?
    In the process I found a glass like young Cordovan bee emerging. Have never seen such a light yellow almost transparent
    bee before. Should be good to take some graft from this queen in the coming queen rearing seasons. They like the sugar loaves that they recognized instantly (more sugar less subs.)

Found the queen in new brood nest (laying):
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Default Re: Constant mite removal management

Munching on sugar loaves, transparent Cordovan bee and small size cap brood frames:
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

I'm assuming this is only on your nuc sizes? What do you do for your full sized colonies assuming you keep them to over winter? This seems like a great way to get mite free colonies for you. Keep us posted mid season in 2017 to let us know how it turned out please.

Look like a good little trick you can do in your warm climate.

The reason for keeping them in small nuc frames is for easy mite management. They don't use much
    winter stores along with more queens too overwinter on.
    On a full size hive this is not that easy unless you have another similar size mite bee bomb full size hive for all
    the frames taken out. For making the booming full size hive in a hurry you can combine the brood frames while
    leaving the nuc as is on warmer Spring time. They will be the small size 5 frames nucs to support the full size production hive.
    During the winter time all the mites are in with the clustered bees and the mites will be in the cap broods if they have any. With more mites emerged along with the new young bees this will lead to an early Spring hive crashed. More mites less bees build up on expansion mode. So I will have to think about how to handle the full size production hive first. Make them small during the winter and combine them on the warm Spring days. There might be an answer after doing more mite and bee experiment like filling all the drawn frames with sugar syrup before putting them to rest in the cold snowing days. No new cap broods equal less mites. If the production hive have 7 frames of the cap broods then it might be manageable using this method.
    Keep in mind that this is a delay tactic so that the bees can build up during the early Spring expansion phase without much mites to interfere with the brood nest vs a
    leave it alone ft hive overwinter approach. A prolific 3 months after the solstice mated queen will be able to out run the mites. The mites will ever be present in a tf hive that I'm attempting this season. What to do with all the mite frames inside the cap broods in the warm Spring time? Put them all in the mating nucs and give them a ripe QC or a virgin from the cell incubator. That will give them a mite break until the new virgin is mated again. This is exactly what I did to make the mite bee bomb nuc hive in the late Autumn time.
    Last edited by beepro; 12-29-2016 at 01:35 PM.

The fast results are finally in. The removed cap broods in smaller patches have zero mites that I can see. That means the
    hives are gradually having less mites in them. One smaller hive have no more free running mites on the newly emerged bees check. They have
    majority of the adult bees now without any new bees emerging after the last batch. So
    I will be consolidating this nuc hive with less frames and also put in more clean young nurse bees from
    the stronger 4 frame hives. This should help with the population growth at the same time give
    the queen a chance to lay some new eggs. Once I'm satisfied with the mite level achieved in the hives then it will be a big combine
    to have the strongest queen build up much faster. By this time the warm Spring days should be here. In the meantime, I will put more cap brood frames in the mite bee bomb nuc hive stacked up to 3 boxes high. This should increased the cap brood mite frames to 15 or more. After the bees emerged, all the clean frames will
    be rotated out for another cycle of the cap broods manipulation. Thanks to the long live winter bees that made this possible. Without a control method the adult
    mites will increased by 3 time per new bee cycle overwhelming the hive and its ability to build up leading to a hive crash for sure right around the initial hive expansion
    phase. Waiting until the early Spring time is too late for me as the queens continue to lay up to that time. Wish I have this piece of information 3 years ago that could of prevented the hive crash on my only hive back then. Without any treatment so far achieving this level of mite control in the hive is amazing!

More new winter bees, less mites now:

A quick update:

Today is sunny in a low 50s. Did some mite check on the young nurse bees and could not find any.
    Maybe they are inside the cap broods already. Still there is a very low mite count at 4 to 6 mites per 150 bees on the last check.
    Would like to continue with this method into our warm Spring days at brood up time.

Another update:

Another bee emergence cycle today. A nice sunny day after almost 2 weeks of constant raining. Good to know we're
    not in a flooding area. All hives are still alive so far and building up nicely with the big fat winter bees. Some 4 framers have 3 frame of bees back to back and the cap broods too. The Cordovan hive has an average mite level while the mite bee bomb hive have plenty of healthy flying bees today. Not sure why the mite bee bomb hive survived this ordeal so far. Not many crawlers on the ground. All hives are growing gradually under the constant feeding of the homemade sugar loaves patty subs. See it here at https://youtu.be/P0IwvQS2TEw Sorry about the blurry vid.
    This year our Spring time is here earlier than usual with the daffodils and paperwhites already blooming. The strong colony take advantage of the early blooming orange pollen somewhere. Our early Spring build up will be starting within another week or 2. If the bees can co-exist with the mites then you're right on. Now is the challenge on every hives to out run the mites. Can they all keep up!?
    Pre-spring build up time:

surviving alright.

Are you going to use any treatments or just use brood removal?

At this moment the mite population is still manageable.
    I'm not going to treat if it does not interfere with the early Spring
    build up in another month or so. This will allow me to find out
    which hives have the most resistant traits. When there is a high
    mite load then I'm going to move the frames into the mite bee bomb
    nuc hive. So far the mite bee bomb nuc hive seems to be holding well. Of course,
    you can always transfer the mite frames into a mating nuc when it gets warmer or use that hive for your queen cells starter hive. I have no issue with queens emerging and mated in a high mite load hive. Going the tf route you cannot treat just have to find another way to manage the mites. Then find compatible resistant traits to complement your local area with the good drones.

Interesting treatment method.

O.k. if you like to call it "treatment" method. I prefer to call it mite management method.
    Yes, this hive is the smallest of all with only 2 frame of bees left after
    consolidation though still in expansion mode a bit trying to keep up on the winter bees. Inside there are 3 frames, one is nectar only, one is cap broods on one side and open broods on the other, and the 3rd frame have some cap broods with plenty of developing larvae and nectar with a bit of pollen from the eucalyptus bloom. Then there are plenty of foragers and young nurse bees on the bottom floor feeding on the loose sugar and fallen patty subs.
    So the question is should I remove this remaining cap frame into the mite bee bomb hive now? After all the mite bee bomb hive is full of healthy mite free young nurse bees now.
    Of course, it is time to get the last of the remaining mites out of there after sampling that there are not many mites left on the young nurse bees in the original hive. I'll bet only a few on the bees and plenty inside the cap broods still.
    So all the young fat nurse bees on the cap brood frame got brushed off onto an empty natural drawn SC frame that was placed inside the original hive. The cap frame after it is clear of bees is inside the mite bee bomb nuc hive now. The original hive still have many foragers and the clear mite reset button is on. Not seeing that many mites on a bee count, this hive is good to go without any treatment for another 3 months or bee emergence cycles. This is how I treat the hive that has low or high mite level to give them a chance to expand without the mite interference for awhile. Whether or not they have the resistance built in is another story that I will find out later on in the season.

Hope you can follow along:

More bees off pics and the mite bee bomb nuc:

Yippee! Today is a nice sunny day in the mid-50s.
    All surviving hives are flying to collect our early of the year unofficial Spring
    wild mustard pollen. Thanks to the mite bee bomb mite frames
    removal method to give my vsh (uncap pupa w/ a young yellow mite in pic) hives a fighting chance. Although they are
    still a small nuc hive now the prolific bees are extremely healthy coming out of winter. They
    don't skip a chance in this nice weather before the rains come again to gather more resources.
    Took a vid for all to see this workable tf method should you adopt it for future ipm strategy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p9Y...ature=youtu.be
    For now the mites are still in there with the bees though not a lot to affect this early Spring build up. From now on there are 2 options I can see.
    One is to make grafts at a later date to put the mite cap bees with the virgin queen in a mating nuc hive. Another is to get
    the mite biting/mauling bees for the I.I. process hoping to improve them more. Anybody has a 3rd option or other one?

Healthy bees that survived:

How many survived and how many did you lose?

Bee pro, just curious what you think of this idea. http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...drone-hatchery
    Zone 5B

In this experiment I started out altogether with 8 nuc hives. One is the mite bee bomb nuc.
    Two queens disappeared from the nuc hive and one got balled when she ventured in to the other side with a
    different colony. So lost 3 queens total. Why the 2 queens disappeared just before the winter time it is still a
    mystery to me. All 5 still surviving including the mite bee bomb nuc hive.
    Three hives are growing into 4 frames now. They have the vsh genetics so they can keep the mites in check
    better over the winter. The mite bee bomb nuc and the Cordovan queen nuc have a
    high mite count today though still surviving. The Cordovan queen nuc have 4 frame of bees while the
    mite bee bomb nuc is down to 2 frames now.
    Your drones removal idea many have tried before. It will work for awhile until the bees started kicking the
    drones out before the winter sets in. Then the worker bees will be infected with a high mite count hindering the
    hive's ability to make some big fat winter bees. Because of this, without taking the mites out of the hive along with no treatment, the
    entire hive will turn into a dead out, some will be before while others are right in the middle of winter. Many new beekeepers wanted to know why their hives are dead all of a sudden. It is because of this spiked in the mite levels that did them in. My method is a bit different in that I keep majority of the cap worker broods in the mite bee bomb nuc. At the same time I plan to use the mite resistant drones to I.I. the less resistant virgin queens. This is a good way to bring some resistant fast in to your apiary. Remember that drones removal is only temporarily that it will not cure the mite issue over time. Only way to go is to find the resistant bees in order to survive with the mites. Many are seeing this possibility for the future already! Somehow we are still behind on the I.I. process as other countries are doing it already. The secret is no
    longer guarded as you tube have many such vids. Do a search on instrument insemination on you tube to see the other foreign vids too. You might get a better idea of how to improve your bees including the mite resistant bees.
    Last edited by beepro; 01-29-2017 at 09:56 PM.

The fast results are finally in. The removed cap broods in smaller patches have zero mites that I can see.
    Does this mean that you are doing just a visual mite check?

Regards,
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Yes, the results are in that I still bees to play with for another year of hive expansion.
    Here is what I've found out so far using a small tweezers to either flip the young bees or
    catch them entirely. Today is another bee cycle that the young bees are emerging. This is also a
    good opportunity to catch the newly emerged bees to see how many mites are on them. When I see
    the young fuzzy bees on the comb then lifting it up with a small tweezers for a mite count is not an issue. This
    is consider a random sampling of X number of bees. You can keep track of how many mites you have pick up from
    the young bees. So it is both a visual mite check and random sampling at the same time. After catching 50 or so bees you'll have
    an idea how many new mites have emerged within this new mites and bees cycle. Oh, with the small tweezers you can even snap
    on the mites while picking them up from the bee too. Crunch!

How long do the mites stay on a new bee after it emerges?
    --shinbone
    (7th year, 10 hives, Zone 5b, 5500')

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast