Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Default Re: Treatment free at all costs - the chronicle of a beekeeper from South Germany

My new hive was warm ways, which I changed yesterday to cold ways.

I installed a shallow at the bottoms of the carni- elgon hives to make them build drone comb and have some space to cluster if they are crowded. The next warm spell they will need a super on top.

The closed bottom floors are to their advantage. It seems its easier for them to climate.
    Listen to good advice, then.... make your own decision. fusion_power
    www.vivabiene.de

Default Re: Treatment free at all costs - the chronicle of a beekeeper from South Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Reading Squarepegs post has given me a thought why some TF bees may work in some areas but not others.

During times with no brood, mite mortality can be high. A demonstration of that could be from SP's mite counts he has said elsewhere that fall mite counts can be as high as 15%, but by spring he finds almost no mites in the hives.

So to my theory. SP's bees have a brood break winter, and mid summer. But after the summer break the mites are able to build up to quite a high level by fall. However this is dealt with during the broodless winter.

In other areas, bees don't have brood breaks. So if TF bees that "work", because mites are sorted during broodless periods, are sent to an area with not brood break, that could destroy the method they use to get rid of mites.

That's all theory of course, I have not done the experiment. But it might be part of the reason a bee will work in one area but not another. And it could be yet another reason why Italians don't work so well, they like raising brood at any opportunity.
    Had the same thoughts today when I looked at my new hive. There was a pulled out damaged pupae on the entrance board and I found a wax moth larvae on the varroa board.

My own survivors had a long brood brake this winter and there are no virus effects seen at the moment. And: I tried to breed wax moth for a bait hive at my home in a dadant box, but no wax moth so far. Too cold at night.

The new bees come from bavaria where it is colder and the winter longer. Still they are infested and have wax moths. Why? Because they were kept in a bee house. Warm overwintering.
    www.vivabiene.de

What you going to do about that?
    "Thinking Inside The Box"

What you going to do about that?
    Im trusting the bees to know what to do.
    My friend, where they come from, has no high losses. He sees wax moths and DWV every year in his hives since 2012. He sees DWV in his treated hives, too.

I hope with time and distributing many drones I will always have some survivors. Maybe the pulled out pupae is a sign of VSH.

My place is colder and I have no bee house. Im not using insulation except on top.

My interest lies in watching and learning. This will need some years and maybe some new starts.
    Its fascinating to me. In the end what counts for me is to realize and take note which practical methods and arrangements are working and which not.

What I see in my environment is that established beekeeping methods dont work without treatments. So I have to experiment because nobody can tell me which methods will work. And what combinations of methods.
    www.vivabiene.de

Nature selects for sure.

Winter is here again, snow on the snowy blossoms....

18.4.2017 Schnee.jpg
    www.vivabiene.de

Very nice!

That is your house behind? Typical German house with high roof for getting rid of the snow!

Very nice!

That is your house behind? Typical German house with high roof for getting rid of the snow!
    No, its the neighbors. I was standing on our balcony to do the picture. This is ours where we live with my in laws.

MF 2016.jpg
    www.vivabiene.de

Very pretty.

Looks like a beekeepers garden .

No flow, no pollination, no fruit.

http://www.suedkurier.de/region/Frie...59606,11461208
    www.vivabiene.de

All colonies survived the ordeal and are going for pollen and nectar like crazy.

The dandelions are not frozen, some late blooming apple trees are still used.

I prepared my " dummy" breeding frames to introduce into the brood nests. Its to experiment with the technique mostly since I believe the survivors are "good bees" all and I`m no queen breeder yet.
    Tomorrow I will remove the bottom wires.

Zuchtrahmen.jpg

My new hive breeds wax moths between varroa mesh and varroa board. This kind of floor is a big mess because the bees are not able to reach the wax moths and with open floors will not use the whole frames for breeding.
    www.vivabiene.de

Why remove the wires?

Why remove the wires?
    I fear the qc will be build around the wire and I will not be able to cut them out.

Drove 300 miles yesterday to visit my new mentor who lectured me about grafting. He build all his grafting tools and qc starters himself, fascinating!
    Maybe I will try this too.
    www.vivabiene.de

Yes. Every serious beekeeper should learn that.

We had fine weather the last two days but now its snowing again and 2C.

Beekeepers here see the first drones killed and expelled from hives because of the food situation.

My records from 2 days ago:

24.4.2017 86ma/a AMM-buckfast-hybrid

colony exploded, the highest bee density, not much nectar, some capped food stores, eggs but saw no queen ( Im not searching), no swarm cells, much drone brood
    8 brood combs frame completely filled with brood, some very small capped honey corners, 10% capped drone brood on every frame, honey on side frames but not much.
    propolis sticky
    dark and light mites on the board < 2 per day
    saw approximately 10 opened cells with blueeyed pupae in worker brood area but did not brush off all combs

the honey super foundations were not drawn out so I changed the super to a deep with drawn comb and one old comb with a small honey dome in the middle, I hope they breed upwards

24.4,2017 86mb/1 AMM-buckfast-hybrid

same condition brood frames number as 2 weeks ago.
    this were the robbers and they got all the mites from the varroa crash
    still they expanded the broodnests on the frames but have shotgun brood areas
    much capped drone brood
    big honey domes, capped
    not much fresh nectar
    mites ( on board 2 per day, saw one on drone, one on worker)
    high density of bees
    many young bees emerging, saw no mites sitting on them

defensive, I had to smoke them, got stung once
    no swarm cells
    saw the queen laying

took home two samples of capped drone brood

EF1 Elgon-carni-hybrid

6 broodcombs, looking good, saw the queen laying
    propolis sticky
    some mites on the board but none on bees
    some food stores, not much fresh nectar
    high bee density
    gentle but curious ( elgons like to smell you)
    no swarm cells, queen very fat and slowly moving

took a sample of capped drone comb from burr comb under the frames

EF2 Elgon-carni- hybrid

new hive
    7 broodcombs, saw queen laying, she is laying a very good pattern, one frame completely with eggs
    every frame with 10% drone corner capped
    propolis sticky
    still stores of food but not much fresh nectar
    small number of mites on board <1 per day
    saw 5 worker cells opened with blue-eyed pupae, but did not brush off all frames
    no swarm cells
    no wax moths anymore ( in hive and on the board)
    gentle bees

2ba/b Carni-??hybrid

the only carni survivor
    6 broodcombs, saw queen laying
    much eggs and young larvae frames completely layed
    not many drones, some stores, some nectar
    propolis sticky

this colony lost their queen two times on mating flight last year.
    I donated egg and young larvae comb three times, one time with supercedure cell
    I donated one frame capped brood after observing VSH behaviour in september to help them survive winter
    The new queen layed 5 frames eggs in one day at the beginning, three were nursed
    I fed many honey frames to them last year.

This hive has no mites on bees and board so far.

Some picts:

Carni April 2017.jpg

Elgon F2 24.4.2017.jpg

Elgon F2 2 24.4.2017.jpg
    www.vivabiene.de

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728