Band heater vaporizer. - Page 15
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Default Re: Band heater vaporizer.

My Ace Hardware has that stuff on cardboard rolls and can be purchased by the foot and is reasonably priced, I will take a look at buying some on Monday.
    Johno

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Any thoughts to a PDF with various design options so it could be added to the Build It Yourself archives?

Also, do you have a link to the 3d printed cover design for the Mypin?

If one uses the MSHP1.036/1.246 caps do you need to use a 1" pipe with a 1 1/14" coupler?
    Last edited by KenNashua; 11-05-2017 at 10:53 AM.

(Note, I haven't made one yet, awaiting shipping of the band heater from China)

Was thinking of using the stove gasket material 'rope' and using it as a sleeve (sliding it through the center of the rope) around the small tube going into the hive to keep it warmer along with insulating the entire pan. Being in Maine, I figure things will cool down real fast in our cold weather and copper transfers heat quite well. Thought that the rope could push back when it was pushed into the hive, but couldn't think of a way to have it re-extend when you pull it out of the hive, although as I write this I was thinking maybe I could wrap a weak spring around the outside of the rope to push it back out.

Any comments on practical lengths of the small tube? A compromise between short enough to keep warm, long enough to get reasonably inside the hive while keeping the heat away from the wood?

NorthMaine, If you insulate the body of the device and make sure that the outlet pipe is in the edge of the band heater you will not have a problem. Trying to insulate the outlet pipe will increase the size to such an extent that you will not be able to bore a hole in the top of a box above the frame rest. At the moment I do that with a 1/4" bit pointing upwards about 30 degrees right between the two center frames. The outlet pipe make no longer than 2" you could perhaps get away with 11/2" but start long and you can always make it shorter. When using the device try and get it sheltered from wind while you pre heat. The outlet pipe must be placed at least 11/4" above the bottom of the 1" copper pipes bottom.
    Johno

Anything new on the band vaporizer front?

I have been playing with the cheapest single heater vaporizer by fitting a temp switch that switches off at 250C but have not got anywhere with it yet as it is now much colder and the whole thing needs to be insulated. The Idea is that an LED will tell you when you reach operating temp and you can treat and when the Led goes off again you are ready to treat again. I will be off to New Zealand for 3 weeks in a few days time so will not be able to continue with that for a while. However those tests have shown how important insulating the device is as it makes such a difference to its efficiency. Other wise I have been using the temperature controlled 250 watt device as shown in some earlier pics and have been really happy with its performance treating a yard with 8 hives in 10 minutes.
    Johno

johno

have you tried some gasket maker IE High-Temp RTV Silicone to insulate the heater? that stuff is good to 650 degrees and easy to form. Granted, it may be a little ugly when your done.

Joe

sr4440, when I first started I used the RTV gasket maker when trying to make the loading plugs seal but eventually gave up on that and went to the Mocap plugs. The silicone was not all that easy to work with and I do not think it would be a good heat insulator. I normally use some of the fiber glass insulation from wall and ceiling construction and then wind glass tape or stove gasket rope around to finish but have not got around to doing that with the last one I was building, I will continue with that when I get back from New Zealand.
    Johno

Getting ready to order some band heaters would like to go with the ims # 101636 has anyone found any deals on them , they are around 17.00 from the company

Is the correct mypin controller that johno is referring too https://www.amazon.com/TA4-SNR-Therm...ypin+ta4&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
    Is the correct mypin controller that johno is referring too https://www.amazon.com/TA4-SNR-Therm...ypin+ta4&psc=1
    Nope! that's close, but it's a Ta4-RNR https://www.amazon.com/IMAGE-Display...ords=mypin+ta4

Joe

Thanks Joe are you in the process of building one , do you have a link for the right k style thermalcouple
    Last edited by laketrout; 11-29-2017 at 08:57 PM.

I have used one for a year, it's a 1" dia and it works well, but i don't like how small the cap is, so i am now going to build a 1 1/2. I use a copper reducer in the bottom to hold the heat a little better. I Use some cheap Chinese K thermocouples from ebay, i just weld them in the bottom.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pcs-K-Typ...oAAOSwVfxZv0aQ

Joe

Thanks again , I am trying to source all the parts for the 1 1/2 , how did the reducer work out , are you adding a reducer to the 1 1/4 coupling

its called a "Copper Bushing (FTGxC)" just a big piece of copper to hold the heat. On the 1" it worked well.

Joe

Looking for a couple 1 1/2 '' X 1 1/2'' band heaters IMS wants to much for shipping anybody have any ideas where to look , I did find what I'm looking for on ebay but there rated at 240v not sure if they will work

Not sure if a nozzle heater band is the same as a band heater or not but I'm sure someone here can clarify that.
    If they are the same or will work then you might try here.
    http://www.thermalcorporation.com/no...BoCidoQAvD_BwE
    A 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 250 watt 120 volts is $9.90 which seem cheap enough.

Ken

tennewbe,
    just got off chat with a rep from this company,minimum 6 pieces for an order no tax id required. waiting for a quote for them now will post the p
    total price when i receive it.It will be different but will give you a clue to the cost.

I made out better today dealing with ims , called them directly on the phone and they waved all shipping and handling charges using my own ups shipping number , got two on the way .

Ordered band clamps on Friday and I got them today ( Monday ) , can't beat that !!

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast