Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Default Re: Riverderwent Survival Treatment Free 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    They reference some other studies on page 611 of the linked study.
    "Mite Pests of Honey Bees", by David De Jong, Roger A. Morse, and George C.Eickwort (1982), is a survey article rather than a primary account of an experiment. This article simply states "The life span on adult bees in summer is two months and at least five months in winter" and cites two sources for the statement. These are (1) "The mite varroa and the methods of controlling it", by Langhe, A. B., and Natskii, K. V. (1976), Pchelovodstvo (3):16-20 (In Russian); and (2) "Varroatosis a dangerous parasitic disease of bees", by Shabanov, M., Nedealkov, S., Toshkov, A., 1978. Am. Bee J. 118:402-3, 407. I don't have ready access to these two works, but from the manner in which they are referenced, they may surmise maximum lifespan, and they don't give me grounds to discount the findings reported in the linked 1994 paper regarding longevity curves and average lifespans. (The paucity of colonies studied in the linked 1994 paper does give me pause.) Now here I stand awaiting correction by abler parties.

In the mean time, Oldtimer, you may have to resign yourself to being one of the foremost researchers on the average lifespan of varroa in the absence of brood.
    David

Ha, nobody need take account of my "research" because I do not understand scientific method enough, and all that other hoopla that properly done studies have to do. Which may have distorted my results such as, as you pointed out, the possibility of horizontal transmission. I had no means in place to negate that possibility. It was just an old beekeeper messing with some bees in his back yard.
    "Thinking Inside The Box"

Yesterday, we inspected our hives. The overwintered hives are all still doing well. My concern for them will be the effect in late summer this year particularly when the mite populations are high. I still don't see crawlers or otherwise diseased bees. Like "Dean" Randy Oliver, I don't have anything to prove here, and just hope, working with nature and not against it, to bend the information curve a tiny bit, and the survival curve perhaps a tiny bit less.

The spring flow is tapering a little. Tallow tassels are just beginning to form and look about two weeks early. We've lost our typical percentage of new, captured swarm clusters ("bees in a bucket") and cutouts, but the trapped swarms are, as typical, all doing very well. We also did a couple of cutouts at one house yesterday, one of which cutouts was "huge", the other was just large.
    Last edited by Riverderwent; Today at 09:56 AM.
    David

I have a couple of dead bees on some concreet board that is laying in front of one of my most active hives. They have pulled some junk out of the hive also. I don't think there has been any robbing. I was very rough inspecting cause I use squeezing and such for getting the bees to fix bad looking or fat comb. I look at the dead and the wings seem fine and the abdomen seems to be the correct lenght. The wether is bad bad bad and has been for two days and will be for three more. My guess is it is just old bees that couldn't make it too far from the hive. I am guessing it is normal even though with this hive it is more pronounced. If it ever clears up around here, I will look harder. I have about four queen cells that should have hatched somewhere in all this bad wether.

I am parinoid that mite build up could cause some issues but so far am just trucking along and trying to watch what is going on.

I guess now I can see what happens to food stores also during long bad wether spells.

David, I figured I would read what you wrote on your obsevations and compare it to what I see and maby I can learn some signs of good or bad.
    Cheers
    gww

PS in my part of MO, the white clover is just now starting to pop and so I am not sure of my flow compared to yours but figure we may be moving into a hot part of ours.
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Ha, nobody need take account of my "research" because I do not understand scientific method enough, and all that other hoopla that properly done studies have to do. Which may have distorted my results such as, as you pointed out, the possibility of horizontal transmission. I had no means in place to negate that possibility. It was just an old beekeeper messing with some bees in his back yard.
    In another life you would have been a fine scientist in my opinion. Your experiment would be a good first step. Then others comment, you think of a better way to do it, and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    My guess is it is just old bees that couldn't make it too far from the hive. I am guessing it is normal even though with this hive it is more pronounced.
    This time of year, the bees may be dying at roughly the rate they were being born five or six weeks ago. Which could be scores or hundreds depending on the type of bees, size of the hive, and weather.

I am parinoid that mite build up could cause some issues but so far am just trucking along and trying to watch what is going on.
    Hope for the best, and plan for the worst.

I guess now I can see what happens to food stores also during long bad wether spells.
    It will help that its not cold and the bees can't fly, but brood rearing will use up stores pretty quickly.
    David

river
    Thanks
    gww
    zone 5b

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213