Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Backyard Hives

Default Re: Backyard Hives

Quote Originally Posted by Delta 21 View Post
    there are lots of new bees (new......bees......newbies! I kill me!)

That's to funny glad you are having fun with this lol

And then there were three. and a nuc split.
    IMG_20170418_184550071.jpg

2pm today the ladies from hive #2 are swarming. Heavy stream out of the bee yard. The whole back yard sky engulfed in bees with local birds swooping thru feeding as well. It was awesome!
    https://youtu.be/VFTPMitlK6w
    The queen landed on my bushy rose bush and in no time they were all clumped right around her.
    https://youtu.be/UOLkL1dUYZc
    I rushed around and got some crappy comb with honey left in it and put in in a box right under the swarm so hopefully they wouldnt fly away. It took a bit to get hive #3 opened up and ready. A light mist with some light syrup and a few snips later they were gently in the box. Totally mellow bees. I didnt find the queen but they were acting like she was right there the whole time. Its sundown, they are tucked into their new box with a comb of uncapped and capped brood from their old hive and 6 empty bars of comb. With luck she survived the dump into her new home and will settle in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta 21 View Post
    Sunday (9Apr)I went thru the hive and found no queen cells, but I have never found one before so I have never seen one with my own eyes..
    Well, I have seen one now. I went thru the parent hive to fetch a comb with brood in it for the new hive. Hoping to root them in their spot.

I ended up with a split into a nuc box with 2 comb full of brood, bees and one capped QC on each bar....and I stopped counting at 15 queen cells that I smooshed. A bunch capped and a bunch just being capped. I looked thru the hive twice, didnt find a live queen, left one frame with 2 capped queen cells less than an inch away from each other and closed it up. It was a crazy day. Iv'e never seen or done anything like this in my life. I hope I did a few things right.
    2nd year with bees. 2 Top Bar hives in my back yard.
    Zone 6a. 'Crackpipe' OAV.

Wow, that's exciting. Way to go! I'm interested to hear the next update. I think I'll get a nuc box ready, just in case!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris LS View Post
    I think I'll get a nuc box ready, just in case!
    Yeah, last inspection had me thinking I was setting pretty! Now all of a sudden my slack space is gone. I guess I better finish hanging the gate on the bee yard so this kind of thing wont happen again.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yesterday I went thru my #1 hive. Lots of capped brood with some emerging. I found what looked like the beginnings of a few queen cups but no larve in them. I wiped them out and spread out the brood chamber a bit. Very calm bees yesterday. I wish they would stay this way thru the summer.

I am loving my new top bars. Straight comb !!
    IMG_20170419_100328993_HDR.jpg

The brood nest stays fairly organized and straight but they can be inattentive in the honeycomb area. One wrong turn and things start to go bad. Another week of this and three or four bars would be locked together and its a giant sticky mess to work with. The older comb was 'wavy' and they just magnify and reproduce it on the next one. Get that crap outta there before the queen lays it full of brood and you decide to leave it over the winter to keep the numbers.

IMG_20170419_095555209.jpg
    IMG_20170419_104419880.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That must be a pretty good gate! So did you just straighten this comb out and put it back in the hive?

They are building wax like crazy now. I removed those 2 and and another. I got just under a quart of honey out of the three bars, 2 big capped honey bands across the tops of the comb with just a little clear syrup I have been feeding. The darker comb had a lot of pollen that I feel bad for taking but they have plenty and are bringing in more daily.

Small corrections are possible and you can manipulate the comb more than you think, until it rips. Sometimes the bees will take the hint, but once it wanders onto the other bars its best to start a clean bar. Scrape the wax/propolis off REAL GOOD or they will just follow their old tracks.

My #2 hive that was busting with bees has had negligible harvest this spring. They ate all MY honey, but (hopefully) gave me another 2 colonies of bees.
    This hive was hammered with mites last fall and is just now back on its feet. I have gotten at least 25 pounds out of this hive in its first year.

Delta 21 things are looking great for you keep up the good work

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123