Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bees have brood over honey - fix for them?

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  DanielD 
#1 ·
I have a split I made this year that took forever to re-queen (first queen didn't make it) and, as such, they had nothing better to do than to gather nectar. Present queen is laying well but has 90% of the brood in top deep because the bottom deep is full of a combination of capped honey, pollen, and nectar. I have a medium super on top with plenty of room to relocate stores to but they don't seem to be too interested. Should I rearrange for them?

#6 ·
I have the same issue with my hive
The queen is laying wherever she can in the bottom box, but 9 frames of honey and nectar and pollen with brood scattered where possible. The second hive box 8 frames of solid brood with honey on top edges.

They seem fine just seems backwards. Should I leave it or swap them

#11 ·
I think what's happening is the bees are bringing in nectar faster than they're building comb. It's been that way from the beginning. As new comb get built it gets layed but as the brood emerges half of that gets layed but the rest gets filled with nectar. After about the third cycle that frames done. I don't know

#12 ·
They will most likely move down as fall/winter approaches and fill what's above them that they aren't using for brood anymore. The lower stores will probably be used for brood and relocated as they move down. My hives move the center of the brood nest up and down through the year, ending up at the bottom at the right time before winter. It's also interesting how the brood nest expands and contracts as needed. They seem to be created to do what's best most of the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.