Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Queenless, or so it Appears

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Learning2Bee 
#1 ·
I have 5 hives. I routinely do inspections. 2 of my hives are without brood and I can't see any eggs. (I have almost 20/20 vision, but I still could of missed some) Lets call them hive 1 and 2. I added a frame of eggs and young larvae to both hives, if anything to stop the devolopment of drone layers. Mite levels never got above 3 per roll. (Doing a powdered sugar roll with 1/2 cup of bees). And early this spring I did splits on Hive 1. Hive 2 is a pkg. from this year. Not sure what else to do, or how soon to check and see whats happening.

I guess it would be helpful to know were in a flow, but it is gradually slowing down.

Also im frustrated. :scratch:

#3 ·
Two hives out of five suddenly go queenless? In the midst of a flow? Possible but.....I'd be more inclined to guess a swarm from each and the new queens haven't started to lay yet. Giving them a frame with eggs is the right thing. Check, as suggested by cervus, in a few days. If they are queenless they should start some queen cells.

#6 ·
If there was a swarm and a new queen was successful mating, the colony often runs out of brood just before the time the new queen lays. There could be a week without brood. You will probably see eggs next time. Also, look for areas of comb cleaned out and polished, ready for a new queen as a sign it's close.

#9 ·
I know the consequences of being to eager. I've seen plenty of hives in my area get nosema because people were opening them while it was still way too cold. Thanks for all the info! I will definitely post an update Monday or Tuesday!

#10 ·
So the bees seem to be foraging and acting pretty normal, and not aggressive. I won't open them up for another few days, but, by my judgement, seem normal. I'm hoping there is a queen in there.:)

Hopefully someone is still subscribed to this thread. Haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.