Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: What Price Should I Sell A Pint of Honey For

I am selling mine for 5.00 Per half pint.

This seems to be what people will pay at a small farmers market. They think my larger jars are a good deal, but this is what moves. It's more bottling work, but I get the cheapest jars I can on sale.

Had 6 buyers last Sat at a little market on the corner. There were only 12 sets of customers. So I sold to half. 3 of these drove back buy and bought more.

5.00 seems to be what folks have in their pocket.

I'm getting $8 a pound in squeeze bottles with no balking what so ever. It's selling fast. Regardless of size, $.50 an ounce seems to sell fine. My wild hive honey sold out in 3 days at $10 a lb. Market to it's strengths, there is a demand out there. Given a pint is a pound and a half, I'd price accordingly.

Hobbyist here. Harvested in July and August this year. These two honeys are different tasting, both light in color. Local, raw and strained only. One tastes a bit like caramel and the other is tangy. YUMMY! We have a lot of Linden trees in our area.

This is our first year selling to co-workers. Getting rave reviews and word of mouth is great for sales! Some repeat sales and I feel next year these customers will be back. There was a little surge for Christmas gifts.

$10 for 20 oz. raw honey in pint mason jar.

$20 for 40 oz. raw honey in quart mason jar.

$6 for 10 oz. creamed honey in mason jelly jar.

$12 for 20 oz. creamed honey in pint mason jar.

Creamed honey involves more effort, so value added.
    Is it summer yet?

I usually sell at 5.25 a pound, 10.00 pint and 18 quart. no complaints

at some of these prices do you cover your costs?
    anyone have an idea of how much it costs them to produce a pound of honey?
    knowing may help you price it whether you keep bees for fun or for a return on investment.
    Last edited by clyderoad; 02-05-2017 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbybee View Post
    I love for people to feel they have value in what they buy, but I won't try and compete with the large scale honey suppliers in price since they can't compete with me on quality.
    I LOVE that statement!!

A friend offered me a a pint for $9 only. Maybe, pricing will depend on how it has been prepared. Consider your expenses and capital.

I am always asked what I sell my honey for.
    I don't sell any.
    I refuse to.
    I do this for fun and am really scared that if I charged for honey it would be a job.
    The last thing I want would be to have another job or business.
    I am really small scale compared to most of you folks.
    Last year with six hives we did/made just a bit over 10 gallons of harvest and didn't have to feed at all.
    We live in a a good area and have some cool tools like a 3100p so the work is not all that hard.
    This year we have eight hives that might max out to twelve hives.
    The wife and I do a lot of business in our work.
    We give our honey away to family,friends and business associates.
    I am not sure why but it makes me happy to give it away.
    I just kinda dig it.
    I don't expect nor want anything in return but I don't give out to "takers".
    Surprising enough it seems that we receive more than the premium going rate in return than we give out.
    I feel blessed to have this situation.
    Andy

I think it is fun to sell it.
    You might change your mind about selling it if you start getting 50+ pounds per hive (600 plus pounds potentially) and those 5 gallon pails are stacking up, and your friends are starting to avoid you so they don't have to add another jar of honey to the shelf with the other six that they haven't used yet��
    There's nothing wrong with selling something to people that want to buy it

Edited
    Last edited by Branman; 04-19-2017 at 08:00 AM.
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

Here the "normal" price at farmers markets for a lb of honey in a squeeze jar is $10.00, and it sells fast. 12oz goes for $8
    Zone 6b: 15 hives in Maryland, 11 Carniolan, 4 Italian : Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

Blanchard Michigan United States of America

I sell my honey for $10.00 a pound in jars that I got at Family Farm and Home in Big Rapids Michigan. I bought the jars for $14.99 and they came in a pack of 12. I gave away maybe six 1 pound jars to friends and family and I sold 17 jars and kept four of them for my-self. I think the average price for one pound of honey is 7-8 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Bliss View Post
    Hobbyist here. Harvested in July and August this year. These two honeys are different tasting, both light in color. Local, raw and strained only. One tastes a bit like caramel and the other is tangy. YUMMY! We have a lot of Linden trees in our area.

This is our first year selling to co-workers. Getting rave reviews and word of mouth is great for sales! Some repeat sales and I feel next year these customers will be back. There was a little surge for Christmas gifts.

$10 for 20 oz. raw honey in pint mason jar.

$20 for 40 oz. raw honey in quart mason jar.

$6 for 10 oz. creamed honey in mason jelly jar.

$12 for 20 oz. creamed honey in pint mason jar.

Creamed honey involves more effort, so value added.
    This is correct prices!

Wow.now I feel bad. Ive been buying wild flower honey for mead making from a amish guy down the road who has hives for 3 $ a pound in jars or 120$ per five gallon bucket if I supply bucket

Friends,

Marketing honey is a really interesting challenge. In my local area, the wholesale price offered by the distributors runs from $1.80 for the light honey to about $1.40 for the dark. They supply the 55-gallon drums and you have the responsibility to deliver the bulk drums to their dock. I have friends that sell their own honey for $9.00 a pint and have a lot on hand that they can not sell. The laws of "supply and demand" really determine what price you can get. I personally like to keep the demand a little higher than the supply. My June and July honey is really light and comes primarily fron alpha alpha. The later honey is much darker and has a different taste. We just finished botteling the dead out honey from colonies that perished with "CCD" and it is dark and has the "heavier taste".

I am really excited for those who have found "high end markets" to sell thier honey. I wish you well, LP

Right now have a few angry customers who can't believe it's mid-May and I don't have any honey to sell.
    Sell a lot of 12-ounce bears.
    Pints, quarts, and gallons.
    It's all the same price-rate.
    Roughly $6.66/pound or $5/cup.
    $5 for a 12-ounce bear and nobody even blinks.

Light vs Dark? I think I could get more for the late-summer goldenrod honey. I get hounded for that starting when it's blooming. Wish I could produce more in the fall. Our fall flow is very iffy.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

I'm an hour out of NYC and sell at $16 a pound. My 200lb harvest last year sold out in about three weeks. Been told I need to raise the price but I'd feel bad at that point. Prices in my area range from $12-$20 a pound so I settled in the middle.
    Owner of Honey Hound Farm. www.honeyhoundfarm.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123