lega uncapper - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: lega uncapper

Default Re: lega uncapper

I just got the lega uncapper. Shipping was super fast. The box it came in was terrifyingly GIANT but the uncapper is not as big as that big box. The instructions manual (hhahahahahahaha) is no frills or stapled and in 4 languages....missing a lot of basic info to be desired.
    Last edited by BeeBad; 06-03-2017 at 11:44 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

legabumpers.jpeg My uncapper is missing the BLACK feet and tops to the legs as seen in this image. The plastic tub comes from IKEA., it still had the sticker on it. I wonder how much I could have saved in shipping if I just drove to IKEA here and bought the tub myself...Does anyone else have a source for maintenance or additional INFO on this uncapper?I think more documentation is warranted for a tool that costs $1000. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeBad View Post
    I just got the lega uncapper. Shipping awas super fast. The box it came in was terrifying. The uncapper is not as big in that big box. The instructions manual (hhahahahahahaha) is no frills or staples and in 4 languages....

A tub from Ikea? Is that even food grade plastic?

Well its been ayear since post was made. Longer backstop and channel locks to accomodate mediums better. No response to address this .
    Quote Originally Posted by blueskybeesupply View Post
    Hello all. Apologies, I'm not on the forums as much as I used to be (we are busy packing those orders to go out quickly). Gilligan did contact me by email today and told me there was some discussion on the uncapper that I was not aware of and I needed to respond to. In the future, I will try and figure out how to have "alerts" turned on for threads pertaining to our products that I comment on.

The only negative feedback we have received in the last few days (from just a couple of people) is:

1.) The backstop rest needs to be longer for our USA Langstroth Mediums and Shallows.
    Truth be told, if the backstop wasn't even on the machine, there would probably be no comment on it or desire for one. You would simply place the frame between the rollers, lock down the top bar gripper and pull the handlebar down and repeat. Nonetheless, we have asked Lega to make us a longer backstop. We will send them at no charge to all who have ordered and will order.

2.) The spring-action handlebar returns to its highest position, as if it were only set for deeps.
    This is an easy fix as well. We have asked Lega to develop simple metal inserts that can block/lock into the green travel channel. In this fashion, you will be able to set for the frames you use. Again, these add-on parts will be sent at no cost to all early adopters and those who order.

With these 2 updates, we will "Crank it to 11" as they say. Lega designs processing equipment for over 40 different sizes of frames and the majority of those frames in Europe are of the deep variety. So, a few simple updates and all will be well.

For those of you who do not know, Mr. Lega designed the original tabletop CHAIN uncapper, that is now knocked off in China and being sold by other companies that is now of very low quality and at a very HIGH price. The ROLL uncapper we sell is of the highest Italian quality, as the original was, but we priced the the ROLL uncapper to make it more affordable for the sideliner beekeeper.

Again, never hesitate to contact us via phone (877) 529-9233, email or Facebook for the best response. We take care of our customers and these parts were planned to be sent whether they realized it or not (we have only received questions on these issues from 2% of those who have purchased).

I know right. I am pretty sure it is not food grade.
    Quote Originally Posted by angryhippie View Post
    A tub from Ikea? Is that even food grade plastic?

There is no way it weights 116 pounds as the shipping manafest says. HEY COULD I HAVE BEEN CHARGED $200 plus dollars to ship something someone thought weighs 116 pounds. It is not 116 pounds....so
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeBad View Post
    I just got the lega uncapper. Shipping was super fast. The box it came in was terrifyingly GIANT but the uncapper is not as big as that big box. The instructions manual (hhahahahahahaha) is no frills or stapled and in 4 languages....missing a lot of basic info to be desired.

Default Re: lega uncapper [Review]

What kind of bin came with your extractor? Is it food grade? Mine came from IKEA. did you get any upgrades from blue sky concerning the backstop or channel lock to better accomodate mediums?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    So, we extracted 48 frames (40 mediums and 8 shallows, I think). Got about 16 gallons of honey and probably a cup of "cappings".

What we expected and was happy with:
    • It worked pretty well, even when it couldn't really break the cells (due to uneven drawing by the bees) our little spikey roller was able to get in there and finish the job quite easily.
    • It was quick, there were two of us and even with having to use the spikey roller from time to time (and sharing it) it was keeping up with the loading process of our Blue Sky 9 frame extractor. We were both working at a pretty leisurely pace.
    • Extraction (spinning) went pretty much as we expected, it probably doesn't go AS fast as with knives but that is because it's coming out of slits vs an open cell. We could have run them longer or even spun them faster (never went above 80%) but we didn't have our extractor mounted and didn't even have the rubber feet installed so if it had any sort of balance issues, I had to hold it down.

What didn't go quite as expected:
    • Seems like we might need to sort frames by "fullness" if we don't want to use the manual spike roller. This would allow us to adjust the width of the uncapper knives based on thickness of the comb. It doesn't cut well enough if it's then and it crushes if it's thick, but mostly it was just right. You will see in our video that we did a really full one and it ripped open the comb a bit, this was really the only one that was that bad, I just wanted a video of honey oozing. If you look at the pics you will see what the mostly looked like.
    • The pusher bar (that moves it along on the rack) pushes it RIGHT underneath the knives so any honey on there is dripping right on the top of the bar. Not a big issue.

What went BETTER than expected:
    • VERY little cappings, you will see from the pictures there is almost NO cappings in the catch pan and just a bit that collected under the knife cleaning plates.
    • Knives stayed VERY clean, as you will see in the pictures. This is all running 48 frames, not stopping and cleaning anything. We ran it all into a 600 micron bucket filter (mann lake) and we never had to clean it, even after pouring the catch basin into the extractor. Wait, I take that back, we did dump it into a pan at the end just because our buckets were too full to just leave it sitting on top and I didn't want to hold the strainer longer than I had to. If we would have had an extra bucket, I'd have just let it sit and not cleaned it. That said, we will likely pre strain the catch basin with a small hand held strainer, just to catch the few larger bits... we got it, might as well use it kind of thing.
    • Very little honey dripping, we never did just load the rack and let it sit, we only uncapped as we loaded the extractor. We did run a frame or two and let it sit while extracting on the first run and it was dripping pretty good, which is probably why we paced ourselves the way we did.
    • The little spikey roller, I know that's not related to the uncapper but it might be due to already tearing the cappings with the knives (just not enough) that little guy was working VERY well.

Just watched this video again, definitely the WORSE of the ones to show cappings and dripping. You will see. Compare that to the (blurry) picture of the uncapped frame below and you will be able to see how little usually showed up.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...HpscmhtX3MtS0k

This is just a video for us to show the extractor running but it has an uncapped frame sitting on the rack (this was that first run that we left a couple sitting on the rack).
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...nlLNk0yTHVlemM

Here is the blurry picture of a pretty nice uncapped frame, I'd say most were more like this, next being a few spots needing the roller and then only a couple ended up like that video.
    Attachment 26056

Here is the catch basin after all 48 frames, we never skimmed any cappings and only picked out a few bees that made their way in.
    Attachment 26059

Here are the top of the knives, again ZERO cleaning during the process.
    Attachment 26060

This is the underside where the few cappings did collect, both sides looked about the same (one would have had the camera shooting right into the light overhead so I only have one side. This is mostly because of those one or two bulging frames that we didn't make adjustments for. With adjustments I don't think they would have been as bad (and they weren't bad either way... probably not worth adjusting for just a couple).
    Attachment 26061

Again, any other questions fire away and I will attempt to answer them.

AFTER A FEW RUNS ( 70 frames 2017) on the LEGA UNCAPPER. VERDICT: A Winner!!!

It is a huge time saver. The thing I was most concerned with was the waxed crappings to deal with. There were none. For the most part, I set the blades to a medium width setting and it worked very well.
    The bees will produce irregular frames of honey and you can quickly supplement the $1000. design with this $6. tool which is a must have accessory.:

https://www.betterbee.com/uncapping-...pment/CASU.asp

WHAT IS MISSINGOCUMENTATION for maintenance, dissassembly, and most importantly, the upgrade kit ( well all 3 are equally important).

They sent me the much touted upgrade kit to address the differences in frames from shallows to deeps after I had to ask them for it.

I recieved an envelope with a stainless steel bar with a beveled hole in it, 3 washers, 3 screws and 3 nuts. THAT'S IT. No instructions, nothing whatsoever.

I guess they think that since you were smart enough to lay down $1000 for their uncapper and about $200 for shipping, you are smart enough to "figure out" what to do with their non-descript "upgrade kit". Jamie said they were working on a video 3 WEEKS AGO.

Yeah, I get it..The bar goes in only one place...The important time saving purpose of the upgrade kit is to adjust the uncapper for frame size so: I GUESS I have to back off the allen screws in the green channel in order to slide the screw/nut in to a desired height for the frames i am using. screw head in or out? I just don't like the idea that after laying down $1000. the upgrade kit is DIY.

Enough of my B******G about a silly thing like a product operation manual/documentation. The uncapper is a work of art. It is simple and does the job.

Besides my dissatisfaction with useful product documentation was the catch tub included with the LEGA, that came from IKEA.

It is a "SAMLA" tub from IKEA.....I forgot to research whether this was food grade plastic, after all honey is food grade and chemically acidic...and this tub is essentially for storing clothes and junk. I went to the IKEA site and has no mention or pictures of the SAMLA tub holding strawberries or filled with yogurt, so I would be safe to assume these tubs are not FOOD GRADE. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=SAMLA+Box

Most food grade plastic will have a recycling triangle with a 2 to 5 in it.
    20 hives, 10 years, T and TF, All local stock

I wrote IKEA and in a separate post somewhere else on this forum I posted their response which is essentially NO, it is not food grade plastic, despite the line I got from the distibutor that plastic in Europe are made to a higher standard: BALDERDASH!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hilreal View Post

Quote Originally Posted by hilreal View Post
    While food grade plastics are made of those with symbols 2 to 5, that does NOT mean the inverse is true (that presence of recycling triangle with 2-5 means food grade). Most food grade plastics are HDPE (triangle with a 2) but not all HDPE is food grade.

Any thoughts on durability of this unit in a small commercial operation? I extract about 3000 deep supers a season, uncapping only with cappings forks into two 60 frame extractors. Two of us can do about 120 boxes a day (Last of the great hand-uncapping honey houses?!) I know it?s a bit anachronistic and I?ve toyed with bringing in an automated uncapper of some kind but I love the quiet, the lack of cappings and the simplicity. Maybe this machine could speed me up while not complicating the system?

I wonder how many boxes you could run through the LEGA Roll in an hour assuming you could also keep up loading/unloading the extractors.
    I understand the need to check for missed cappings on shallow comb and possibly longer run times to extract out of the small cuttings on the cells.

Quote Originally Posted by blueskybeesupply View Post
    It will hold 10 frames in the rack.

It can also be mounted (without the legs) to the Lega Combo Extractor/Uncapping Tank and most uncapping bins--which allow even more streamlined and stress-free extracting!

LEGA 10 FRAME EXTRACTOR & UNCAPPING COMBO
    How much do replacement blades cost?

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    How much do replacement blades cost?
    Replacement blades cost?

Quote Originally Posted by erik122 View Post
    Any thoughts on durability of this unit in a small commercial operation? I extract about 3000 deep supers a season, uncapping only with cappings forks into two 60 frame extractors. Two of us can do about 120 boxes a day (Last of the great hand-uncapping honey houses?!) I know it?s a bit anachronistic and I?ve toyed with bringing in an automated uncapper of some kind but I love the quiet, the lack of cappings and the simplicity. Maybe this machine could speed me up while not complicating the system?

I wonder how many boxes you could run through the LEGA Roll in an hour assuming you could also keep up loading/unloading the extractors.
    I understand the need to check for missed cappings on shallow comb and possibly longer run times to extract out of the small cuttings on the cells.
    I was very interested in this Lega roll uncapper. My situation and questions are similar to that described/put by erik122.

With fat frames (I have 8 frames per super) will not crush the wax instead of punching it?

There is an adjustable anvil, that spreads the rollers apart to fix their maximum pinch to the desired level. The machine likes fat frames, so you will be fine.
    Blue Sky Bee Supply
    Quality Bee Supplies, Bees and Containers!

Replacement blades are around .50 each. There's really no call for them though.
    Blue Sky Bee Supply
    Quality Bee Supplies, Bees and Containers!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234