Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

California

45K views 178 replies 50 participants last post by  MtwWallace 
#1 ·
Fresno County citrus bloom today. Nothing hear yet from Tulare. Cotton and most crops will be delayed due to the bad weather.

#92 · (Edited)
95684 Somerset, CA Elevation of 2450ft.
1/7/2013
Manzanita

There are about 10 huge plants on a south facing slope that started blooming yesterday and this is about 4-5 weeks early for us. The buds on the north facing side and ones in the shade are still tightly closed but my bees are going crazy for the open ones today as the high is supposed to be close to 60 deg and the low last night was 28 deg. I haven't seen any evidence of other Manzanita in the area blooming yet but I haven't really looked either.

#94 ·
Re: Post Your Bloom Dates - 2012

Riverside County CA
Just got the first blooms on my lemon tree, Still has fruit on it from last season. Bees are strongly working Rosemary and one Eucalyptus tree that just bloomed. Many more Eucalyptus ready to pop open. Nights are down to about 33-35 F with one night dropping to 27F. Days warm to mid 50's but today warmer at 67F. Last month (Dec) bees were working pollen on a Loquat tree. Rain here two weeks ago, hillsides now sprouting grasses.

#96 · (Edited)
Re: Post your bloom dates 2013!

3/3/2013 finally started detailed gardening.
Socal Diamond Bar CA 91765 Hardiness zone 10A
Daffodils already flowered
moro blood orange tree is starting to bud
orange tree is starting to bud
lemon tree has flowers here and there
rosemary has been flowering on and off
peach tree is beginning to bud
green guava is flowering on the top canopy
aloe vera is shooting up stalks with flowers that will bloom soon
Loquat is beginning to bear green unripe fruit the size of my thumb
apricot tree is blooming
Lavender dentata (french lavender) flowering/flowered
I have 4 other plants/trees i do not know of the names but they are flowering
(if i post pictures can you guys help ID them for me?)
Today has been a wonderful day, i opened up my hive for inspection and after i remove the lid and set it aside, i see my queen run around the top of the frames and crawled onto my hive tool. 1st month into bee keeping and first time i saw my queen since i got my hive. :D

#97 ·
Re: Do we need to start a new thread for 2013???????

91311 Santa Susana Pass between Simi Valley and Chatsworth, California
15 May, 2013
buckwheat

Blooms just open and still in the white - no pink nor rust yet. VERY few bees.

93023 Ojai, California
Sage has been extermely poor this year as last year - perhaps due to no rain before the bloom date?

Black Mustard has been going strong for 6 weeks, and should continue through fall.

Matilija Poppy is out last 2 weeks and should continue through June.

Many asters sp. in bloom - VERY FEW bees on them.

California Pepper Trees just opening now - LOTS of bees going berzerk on them.

Golden Oak trees in bloom - some attention from bees

some poison oak already in bloom (very early) and the bees are loving it.

#98 · (Edited)
Re: Post your bloom dates 2013!

93023 Ojai, California

California poppies opened yesterday, plenty of bees

Lupine open with bees

Organ pipe cactus had 2 flowers and 27 bees "discussing" who's turn it was at 6:30 am this morning!
(I think they really like it!)

Persimmon opened up today

Bottlebrush has been in bloom for at least a week, the bees are all over it with bigger loads on their pollen baskets than I have ever seen.

Laurel sumac should bloom tomorrow. Bees are on it early.

#99 ·

Southern california
Diamond Bar Ca 91765
Zone 10
Green apple guava is blooming
Rosemary is actively blooming again
Lavender dentata, madrid spanish, and angustifolia
blackberry already having fruit turning reddish black
Pink jasmine and honey suckle blooming
lastly stargazer lily is opening

Beets (intentionally left to bloom) and corn is blooming

#100 ·

Just reporting a "blooms all year" plant - I only know it as "red apple succulent ground cover" - Saw a large patch yesterday that the bees were going crazy over. I got called out on a bee "cut-out" that turned out to be one of the best urban feeding stations in the county.

I'd like to know more about this plant, if anyone is familiar with it.

#101 ·
Bradford Callery Pear began blooming in late December, came into full bloom about the first week of January this year. WAY early, but it is a record hot and dry January so far here in Southern California. Bees are on the Bradford pears, rosemary, and many exotics planted in people's yards. We are praying for rain, but it doesn't look too good yet.

All types of Eucalyptus except Melaleuca seem to be off this year again. Glad to hear they're going good up in Morro Bay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.