Are SHB a Problem in Your Area?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Are SHB a Problem in Your Area?

The UK will soon have Small Hive Beetles in their area. It's only a matter of time before honey bee imports from Europe infest the country. It may be that the temperatures and soil types in the UK will result in only minor damage by SHB.

In this country, SHB are a real problem in some areas, while in other places only a minor nuisance. It seems that in warmer areas of the southeast US, SHB can over run honey bee colonies, and be a real issue with small mating nucs. Up here in the northeast, I see a few beetles in the summer, a few larvae here and there, and once in awhile, I see some in my hot room.

So, I'm attempting to discover just where and how far north on the east coast of the US SHB and a real issue.

For instance, in North Carolina, there are 3 zones...costal, piedmont, and mountains. I know that in the coastal regions, with high temperatures and lighter soils, SHB can be overwhelming. In the Piedmont, they are less of an issue, but still a possible issue, while in the mountains much less of an issue. Have I got it right?

So I'm wondering just how far north SHB can be an overwhelming problem, a minor problem, or nor real problem at all.

Please report your state, the area within that state, soil types, temperatures, and to what degree Small Hive Beetles effect your apiaries.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Are SHB a Problem in Your Area?

Eastern Massachusetts (Boston area)
    Hard packed clay
    Normal seasonal temperatures (sea level)
    Two outyards with 9 colonies and have never seen a beetle

My son has two colonies also in this area but in a wooded/shaded area (rich loam soil) and not in the open like mine and he is always fighting SHB. Not overwhelming but they are always there and he does everything he can to deal with them....
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 17H OAV Amitraz
    Seaside Apiaries

I live in S Florida. We have sandy soil.
    If your hive cant defend against SHB, you don't want those bees..
    Just my 2 cents.
    The only time I have seen adverse affects are when you do a cutout and leave brood comb. I no longer leave any comb so I never have problems.

Westchester County, just north of NYC: Zip 10573
    Silty sandy soil with grass
    Normal Seasonal Temperature
    Have seen a few beetles but they haven't managed to get a strangle hold on my hives

BTW, the UK and Ireland have seasonably warm winters and mild summers thanks to the Gulf Stream current (grew up in Dublin, Ireland). Winters rarely get below freezing for any long period of time so I think SHB would actually be a real menace. They don't get anything close to the winters we have here in northeastern US

North Eastern Virginia, quite a heavy soil, this year beetles are starting to become a problem. After the worst winter that I have experienced in 12 years the beetles are here and seem to be thriving and I will have to find a way to deal with them next season.
    Johno

I live in Ohio in the Southeast quadrant. We have clay type soil I the area I live in. Temperature averages are in the 80 degrees in the summer to below 0 at times in winter.

I have seen more SHB in my hives this year than last. This is my second year so take that with a grain of salt.

I have 3 new hives I purchased from California this year that seam to have more SHB than the three I established last year.

I am using the Beetle Blaster traps now and the seek and destroy method as well.

Hey Michael,
    My info is as follows:
    State:North Carolina
    Town: Bayboro, Pamlico County ( coastal area)
    Soil Type: Mix of Sandy and light topsoil
    Temperature: Normal Coastal Temps
    Effect of Small Hive Beetles: Small Hive Beetles are a major problem in this area. If gone untreated or do not possess a REAL Strong hive they will devastate a hive in a short period of time. We in this area are in a constant battle with them. All it takes is a short period of Neglect and you've lost a hive.
    Chip Dickinson-Treatment Free, Foundation Free, Money Free.-- 20 yrs. Kept by Bees
    Hardiness Zone: 8a

I'm in NW Florida, just north of Crestview.
    Soil type: Sandy and light
    Temps: hot humid summers, short winters.
    SHB are very bad, I've started putting oil trays on all my hives and now all my mating nucs. Nucs are much more easily overwhelmed by the SHB because they don't have the numbers of bees that mature hives do.
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives /10 Nucs/ 4th Year / T {OAV}

Upstate, NY, river valley...
    I had a bout with hive beetle last season which I attribute to my ignorance. Normally the soil around here is not beneficial for the little buggers but when a bill board sign was constructed 50 ft away from my hives they brought in 60 yards of sand to raise the height of the land so they could raise the height of the sign. I am back to seeing just a few beetles in the hives this year, thank God.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-22-2015 at 08:11 AM. Reason: off topic
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

1st year beek
    Southwestern Piedmont Virginia
    Our county has different soil ranges; rich soil, red mud clay. We have rolling hills to really flat areas
    Last winter we had single digit spells in Feb, record lows for us. Summer can reach upper 90's. Humid!
    I am gathering SHB is worse this year according to what the old beeks are saying. They are telling me they have had no problems in the past with them. I think that is changing. There are beeks here that have a few visible in their hive with no real threat, and beeks here that have lost nucs to them. I was sort of blindsided post spring extraction with a boom of shb. I finally resorted to oil trap bottom boards, and still have some beetles, but have not been slimed out.

ZONE.jpg
    Last edited by julieandwadeshelton; 10-22-2015 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Insert image

I know I'm not on the east coast, but...

Clinton, Iowa - Eastern tip of the state.
    Soil varies from heavy clay to nearly pure sand depending where you're at and how that spot relates to where the Mississippi and glaciers did their thing. We are mostly fertile crop land, as you'd expect, however.

Personally, I have never seen a SHB. I've got colonies from full sun to nearly full shade.

Northeast Illinois
    Rich black soil (this is farm country)
    Seasonal temps: http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate...tates/usil0225
    Beetles here are the same as MP observes. A couple here and there, but no impact on the bees.
    Regards, Barry

First year beek here with two hives. I'm in central Maryland just outside Baltimore and just on the coastal plain side of the fall line. My yard has clay soil but sand dominates just a few miles to the south. I had a few beetles through the summer. There were lots of them in August, like dozens per frame in one hive, but I only saw one larva and no evidence of sliming. Last week after some cooler weather there were fewer beetles, no sliming and plenty of capped honey. It seems the bees are dealing with them, but I feel I will need to be vigilant and proactive in the future, especially if I'm running nucs or keeping hives over sand.

As far as temperatures, we're zone 7a/7b. Some winters (like the last two) snowy with occasional single-digit lows, others much milder. Summers hot and humid with sustained highs in the 90's. Average last frost mid-April; first frost late October.
    Last edited by Jim Brewster; 10-22-2015 at 08:10 AM. Reason: added climate info

Mike,

I'm in the champlain valley just like you.(same soil/ temps, NY) I almost never see them.

North West California
    Mild climate
    Mixed soil area but mostly good rich soil
    Saw 1 SHB that drown in the sugar water in my top feeder this year... nothing since

Southeast Ohio here, good top soil with hives located at the edge of the woods. Seen a few beetles last year however this year I have seen around a dozen nuisance beetles in a few of my hives, I have hopes that things won't worsen. I am considering building a new type of beetle deterrent system this winter and give it a try next year. Last year I purchased West Hive Beetle traps for the hives and installed them this past spring, what a waste of time and money that was, they caused more problems then they cured, I would like to have my time and money back from that little venture.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A, Never look down on anybody unless you are helping them up

Western Kentucky, 60 miles from MS river.
    Fair climate, very few days below zero during the winter.
    Heavy clay soil.
    SHBs are a very huge problem here. If you make a weak nuc or have a weak hive after july, SHBs will kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by WWW View Post
    Southeast Ohio here, good top soil with hives located at the edge of the woods. Seen a few beetles last year however this year I have seen around a dozen nuisance beetles in a few of my hives, I have hopes that things won't worsen. I am considering building a new type of beetle deterrent system this winter and give it a try next year. Last year I purchased West Hive Beetle traps for the hives and installed them this past spring, what a waste of time and money that was, they caused more problems then they cured, I would like to have my time and money back from that little venture.
    What did you dislike about your west traps?

North Middle Tennessee.
    Semi sub tropical
    light rocky soil

We have colonies that are double deeps that have 30-40 beetles under the lid. Our breed of bees can handle them fine unless the beekeeper is getting to greedy on his splits. Or a colony starts failing and the beekeeper doesn't catch it. One of the key ways to make late splits against the SHB is if you make a 3 frame split shake in 5 frames worth of bees.

Its hard to say how far north. Like you mentioned temperature and soil play big roles.
    Always have more bees than you have comb in splits or queen rearing nucs.
    Follow our videos and photos below. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tenne...35936049943850

Central Virginia. Farmland Soil/Natural Hardwood Earth.

I always see a few, but the bees are seemingly keeping them corralled. I smash them when I can. I see more of course in the home yard, which is cut out of an Old Growth Oak Forest. Less direct sunlight. Rarely see one at the farm yard, Full Sun. G
    The Bees are the Beekeepers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast