Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Queen has disappeared

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  zhiv9 
#1 ·
I started a new hive from a nuc about three months ago and everything seemed to be going well until I did an inspection last week. I don't see any evidence of a queen in the hive - no eggs or larva anywhere and now no capped brood either. About three days ago I moved a couple of frames from a hive I started last year that looked like there were a lot of freshly laid eggs in many cells, hoping that they would develop a queen from the new eggs. Three days later I don't see any evidence that they are creating any supersedure cells or queen cups anywhere.

Is it reasonable to assume that they will develop a new queen from the eggs in the frames I moved over from another hive?

When, if ever, should I see supersedure cells or queen cups in the hive?

#2 ·
Robbers won't make any cells. And even if you transfered all the nurse bees with it. They wouldn't be able to defend and with all their food gone they will starve trying to care for the brood. Wax moths will set in along with shb. I am surprised the wax moths haven't already ruined the comb. Ive seen beginnings of wax moth damage while there was still capped brood.

I don't know your climate, but would be willing to bet its too late to raise a new queen anyway. I would suggest you combine all that with your strong hive and split it in the spring.

#3 ·
I should have also said that all the honey is still in the hive, no evidence of robbing from what I can see. The hive consists of two deeps, top box probably 3/4 full of honey, much of it capped, bottom box maybe 1/4 honey. Other than the honey, all I see is empty cells, except for the two new frames of eggs I moved from another hive.

#4 ·
DMR. Did you see any signs of the bees being queen less. I know not seeing any eggs, however that isn't the only sign of being queen less. Did they sound very loud roaring while opened up? Did they have a bad attitude flying up at you even though they had been smoked? Did they put their butts in the air and fan nasonov while the hive was open? The brood is just one clue and without the others it's actually hard to say they were queen less.

Now if indeed the other clues were there when you placed the frames with eggs into the hive they would have become noticeably more quiet. Also after about 4 days in the hive you would see the beginnings of queen cells start to form. If they have plenty of honey and aren't getting robbed out then they are strong enough to make a new queen. However, depending upon your season it may be too late..

Now the second possibility is that they already have a young virgin or mated queen and you missed her during inspection.. It happens all the time when they are young as they are smaller then. I advise going in and taking a good look at those two frames you put in by the end of this week. If there are queen cells then you will know for sure. If there isn't try to find the new queen cause she should be laying soon if not already at this point...

#5 ·
I'm not sure how robbing is a factor, but I agree, it's getting late to grow a new queen from larvae.

3 days is when the eggs hatch. I believe its normal that you wouldn't see signs of queen cells until after the eggs hatch and the bees select larvae for development. You might see cells being built over the next few days. You could let them take their course, I suppose and possibly get them mated, but I am not familiar with Maryland's climate at all. You could get lucky, and if not, you could do a late combine with your existing hive. Check with locals for advice.

Good luck.

Wayne

#6 ·
If it was an emergency queen replacement the brood could be all emerged before a new queen started laying. It is not a good time to be doing a search to actually find the new queen. If the bees were indeed queenless the bees almost certainly would have started cells from the frame of eggs/ young brood. Sometimes the initial tearing down work in starting a cell is not very obvious as there is not yet the cup portion showing. I say you either have a queen or there will be cells started. Stay out of the hive for at least a week!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.