Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Brood food discoloration

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  davidsbees 
#1 · (Edited)
I've seen this the last three years has any one seen this before. I've sent sample and pictures to some of the top bee researchers with unsatisfactory answers. Pattern Bee Beehive Design Honeycomb
there is orange globules floating in the brood food or the food completely orange. And no it's not pollen.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like some kind of foul broods to me. Do the larvae develop into healthy
adult worker bees later on? If they die then I would requeen all of my hives with a
proven disease resistant genetics. There are plenty of them around.
A healthy colony will have white milky brood food anytime the larvae develop.

#4 ·
Not typical efb never see any dead larva and hard to follow also it seem to come and go. Sent a Q tip sample to Dave Wick and was high in viruses but inconclusive. I don't see it very often just half dozen times a year out of 4,000 colonies just wonder if any one else has seen this.

#6 ·
Keith
I dust 3 times in the fall with TM. last year I did a round of TM on a hive that had the odd brood food with no effect. Also I have not seen typical American foul brood or EFB in over 5 years. But having a little trouble with nosema in the spring. So treated spring and fall with fumagillin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.