Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1858666768
Results 1,341 to 1,359 of 1359

Default Re: Today in the Apiary

Clear with a slight breeze, 57F here today.

Took a walk around the hives, orientation flights and foraging going on, some more than others. Tipped lids and see they've been eating the patties I put on back Dec.26th. I'd added to three of them last week before this last set of rains. Now those three plus three more need more patty soon. I'll be making up another batch in the next few days. I didn't pull any frames, just tipped lids is all. I'll do real inspections sometime in February on a nice 60F+ warm day. Was really nice to have a little sunshine today!

OH, so far only 1 die out. Had 10 and now 9. Today looked hopeful that the rest will make it but two do still look weak on bees. Not too bad considering my lack of management last late summer and fall.

Did a quick lid check just before dark. Seeing a few hundred dead bees in the snow. lots of bee poop on the outer covers of the hives. Not so much on the snow. Wax pattern on the screen bottom boards show clusters running front to back near middle of the hives. Small 8 frame hive have a few hundred bees on the sugar blocks in the feeder. There was a heavy rain last night with +6c degrees today. Suppose to be +8c tomorrow with rain again. Had one moisture board wet on one side but not the shavings below. Turned it wet side up.

Hive checks today went great. It got up to 72 and the bees were toting a pale yellow pollen. Most had 3-4 frames of brood and plenty of stores. Very excited about the upcoming season because I finally have drawn comb to give for expansion and honey. Not sure if the pollen is wild mustard but that's the only thing I have seen blooming. Still no maple here.

It got just warm enough for the bees to stir a little bit. All the hives are still alive at this date. It's good to see at this point. The nucs in the old abandoned house all have life in them as well.

Haven't posted in a long while,
    We have had so much rain in southern California for the last month and getting more, so many wildflowers and clover blooming everywhere since nobody can cut their lawn in between such frequent showers. So many things are blooming early on the big bushy lawns. It's a whole different neighborhood. All the dead park strips are shocking green and finally filling out with something living.
    I got a new hive the 13th of december that was a cut out and both my backyard hives are boiling right now, in between rain showers and if the sun comes out it's like a cloud of bees erupts from the hives. They fly during the rain too, but not in large numbers. So much pollen is coming in. It's spring in January and if we keep getting more rain we are in for some great forage and hopefully some honey for me.
    I set up another cutout hive I got down in my satellite apiary at my dad's 80something miles south...blooming like crazy there too. Checking on them Monday.

I'm still in my first year beekeeping and I can't believe how different the so cal weather is and bees here are in comparison to elsewhere with actual winter. Bees apparently don't stop here.
    non coddler

Warm out today so I cracked the cover and the girls are still working from the 2nd box. Haven't even started on the 3rd box, (went with 3 deeeps).

Looks like I'll have a good bit of honey frames left over to make splits with

have two hives ,60 degrees today one hive lots of bees flying around 10 o'clock, the other weaker one, thought it might be dead could hear bees finally saw a few bees come out about 11:30. we will see if it hangs on, still a lot of winter to go

High of 49F and cloudy all day.
    Not much beehive activity.
    Tipped lids and one is not going to make it.
    That makes 2 down out of original 10.
    The rest are eating patty, some have more bees up than others.
    Made up more patty today, half or more of them are going to need it soon.
    Probably will get out tomorrow to replenish patty on the ones that need it.

Good news the weaker hive had just as much activity as the stronger one today at 12:30. Interesting the weaker hive workers were bring in pollen (1 in 4 or 5). The stronger hive workers, I saw no pollen. I am thinking the weaker hive has some brood to keep warm, I believe that's why it was hours later and warmer before they started coming out, don't know, just guessing new(bee)

Now that the rain has stopped, there's a Eucalyptus fest going on. Good news as I'm behind on my spring yield!

Its been single digit temps for over a week.. I am reading "The Thinking Beekeeper" by Christy Hemenway and enjoying staying warm inside.

Wed-Thur was in the shop working on my third hive. I am working off the Golden Mean hive plans but this one is 43" deep inside. I havent computed the volume yet.
    IMG_20170112_163144_200.jpg
    IMG_20170112_194813_706.jpg
    Made out of 5/8 plywood with a layer of 3/4" pine on the outside.
    IMG_20170112_193832_515.jpg
    Spent today making 65 top bars. Enough to cover this hive and my 2 new nucs.
    IMG_20170114_161335_055.jpg
    You guys are my mentors, so, please correct me !!
    1st year with bees. 2 Top Bar hives in my back yard. Zone 6a.

Hi Delta 21, the hives looks good! If you look in the archives here search for "Golden Mean Hive from Backyardhives" there is a thread there that talks about the hive you are building. Someone mentioned a problem with the roof they made and has other tidbits of info in there. Check out Wyatt Mangums books. Anyway, I had the privilege of attending a Club meeting where C. Hemenway spoke. I have langs and one top bar which didn't do very well; it was newly made by a friend and I coated the inside with melted wax, propolis and honey ( for that "homey" touch) I put a package in and they superseded the queen. It was a small hive but is still going now. I am reading up on a Lazutin hive which is extra deep and set up like a long lang. The book I am reading is Keeping Bees With a Smile by Fedor Lazutin. Good luck and have fun.
    Bee Thankful Raw Honey
    Proverbs 16:24 Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    Up here in the western Catskills not as warm as you are. My smallest hive which is a top bar was flying, but very little of the others. I did get to peek in so they are doing good so far.
    Bee Thankful Raw Honey
    Proverbs 16:24 Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

My last remaining hive out of the 2 started in 2016 is working hard. They are bringing in a ton of yellow pollen but I don't know what it's from. Here in the Piney Woods of East Texas everything looks dead. I also worked on building 6 SBB's that I designed from 2 x 4's and 1 x 4's. They came out pretty good. I will post some pictures of them soon. I'm sure someone else has done the same thing I just have not seen them. Yesterday it was about 70 degrees and cloudy but man was it nice outside!

Made the first split of the year today. Bees seem to think it's gong to stay warm and nice judging by their numbers.
    Last edited by Barhopper; 01-16-2017 at 12:24 PM.

IMG_20170116_111537_417.jpg

IMG_20170116_110951_524.jpg

Woke up to 1/2" of ice covering everything. Prolly be 3-4" of snow before nightfall.

Cloverdale - Thanks for the thread on Golden Mean hives. The print I have only had a 26" inside length! Crazy small and they have a seperate flat cover then the gabled roof fits over that....I just made it all one piece. When the top is closed up the bees seal the top bars completely, a lid and a roof seemed doubly redundantly excessive. and there was plenty of room to put an inch of R-5 insulation board in the attic (also one beneath the solid floor..)

The ice is melted/not formed around the entrances, you can tell the hives are breathing warm air out of the entrances.
    You guys are my mentors, so, please correct me !!
    1st year with bees. 2 Top Bar hives in my back yard. Zone 6a.

Pronounced another hive as dead. There were about 40 bees and a queen left. Yellowjackets and robbers stealing feed. Some dead bees in the bottom. In in early fall I thought this hive would make it. They had honey and a new queen. I treated with OAV and strips. They brought in a fair amount of pollen. Oh well. I curiously saved the queen and some tenders with her. I have to do a "small" cut out tomorrow if weather permits. Perhaps I'll use the queen and split the cutout bees. Purchased this queen in September. There was a small patch of brood 2X3 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta 21 View Post
    IMG_20170116_111537_417.jpg

IMG_20170116_110951_524.jpg

Woke up to 1/2" of ice covering everything. Prolly be 3-4" of snow before nightfall.

Cloverdale - Thanks for the thread on Golden Mean hives. The print I have only had a 26" inside length! Crazy small and they have a seperate flat cover then the gabled roof fits over that....I just made it all one piece. When the top is closed up the bees seal the top bars completely, a lid and a roof seemed doubly redundantly excessive. and there was plenty of room to put an inch of R-5 insulation board in the attic (also one beneath the solid floor..)

The ice is melted/not formed around the entrances, you can tell the hives are breathing warm air out of the entrances.
    Welcome.
    Bee Thankful Raw Honey

Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1858666768