Default Treat or not to treat

I did a 24 hour mite test and found 1 mite on the board. I was really happy about only finding 1. Should I go ahead and do a treatment going into fall?
    I was going to use thymol or some essential oil treatment.

Default Re: Treat or not to treat

Sounds like your bees don't need a treatment right now. Most people choose not to treat unless the mite count calls for treatment.
    Natural Beekeeping Board
    http://georgefamilycrafts.com/

Basic IPM (integrated pest management) calls for testing first and only reaching for treatments if they are needed. Sounds like you don't need them, as long as you are confident that the results of your sticky board test are accurate. Are you doubting your results for some reason?
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Not so much doubting the results but some books say that you should treat every fall as a preventative measure. I'm new at this but I know I don't want to add things to the hive unnecessarily.

All summer I had zero mites on drop tests, but when I did a sugar roll this last time, I finally picked up a few. Maybe follow up with a sugar roll and double check? Then you can decide what to do based on more information.
    Newbee with three hives and two nucs, zone 6b

Quote Originally Posted by blackandtan View Post
    Not so much doubting the results but some books say that you should treat every fall as a preventative measure. I'm new at this but I know I don't want to add things to the hive unnecessarily.
    Don't believe everything you read, or do everything you read in this case
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat :)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

I try to always reduce pesticide use - it seems the responsible thing to do. I don't do preventative treatments for AFB or Nosema. I had very slow buildup in some hives this spring thanks to Nosema (confirmed by B.I.P., variety not specified.) Fortunately the bees took care of things on their own, though I went as far as to order some Fumagillin, though I thankfully never had to use it.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

> Should I go ahead and do a treatment going into fall?

The economic threshold for natural drop in the fall, according to Phil Craft is 30-60. You are well under that...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

According to Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food the 2014 recommended treatment level for Varroa on Sticky Board is 9 mites/24 hr drop in May and 12 mites/24 hr drop in August; some people consider this to be too high.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...74115972,d.cGU

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    > Should I go ahead and do a treatment going into fall?

The economic threshold for natural drop in the fall, according to Phil Craft is 30-60. You are well under that...
    Hi, I was glad to find this tread going as I am not sure if there is anything I should do. I counted 30 mites on the sticky board over a 24 hour period. Also, I did a sugar shake and counted 7. I really don't want to treat. I have a second hive in which I only counted 1 mite on the sugar test. How high is 30 mites? Is there any chance this hive could make it?