Thread: Fall set up

Default Fall set up

I have all medium supers and wanting to know how I should set up the 3 mediums for wintering. At the moment there are 4 and she has eggs in it.

Default Re: Fall set up

what breed of bees do you have

Pretty sure Italian.

being Italian bees they consume alot of honey in the winter id leave all 4 med boxes on i just got italians but i had them before and 2 deeps was not enough food for all winter so this time im leaving 3 deeps hope that helps i live at 6000' you may want to put another med on top

So just leave it at 4? I'm at 880' above sea level. Part of what I'm wondering about too is do I need to arrange the frames in a specific order or do they just take care of it as they see fit??

The main thing is to keep the brood together and food adjoining it. Bees can starve to death in a hive full of honey, because they won't leave the brood to get food when it is cold.
    Last edited by dsegrest; 09-02-2014 at 06:11 AM. Reason: left something out

Quote Originally Posted by Bblock View Post
    Part of what I'm wondering about too is do I need to arrange the frames in a specific order or do they just take care of it as they see fit??
    Are you a better beekeeper than your bees? Unless you have already shuffled frames, leave them where they are. "Bees make better beekeepers than beekeepers make bees." Michael Palmer

But you may have to feed them in order to provide them what they have not gotten from Mother Nature.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

for a strong hive as far north as you are 4 mediums is a safer bet than 3, large colony/Italians. with 3 you may not not want a winter like last year.
    Last edited by mathesonequip; 09-02-2014 at 02:26 PM.

mathesonequip - Thanks that is good to know. So you can leave as many supers as you would like? And without a queen excluder of course.

sqkcrk - By no means do I think so. I was concerned about how to cut back 1 super to leave me with 3 for wintering when the one I wanted to remove had brood frames. I guess the question war or is, how or what to do with the 'active' frames in the super I was going to remove.

sqkcrk, I often think the same thing, 'Bees have been doing this for eons' so why even add and remove supers? I think of bees in a tree, they have the tree and that is it. So why not just start with so many supers, that is equal to the average volume of what has been encounter in tree bees and let them do what they like??

Thanks to everyone for their comments.