Default Late swarm in Wisconsin

What do you suggest that I do with a "late in the season" swarm that I just found in a tree? I think they might be from one of my hives. Thanks, juzzer
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Late swarm in Wisconsin

Combine.

What happens queen wise??? Wouldn't there be two then?? How can I tell for sure if and which of my hives they swarmed from? Also, isn't combining them just adding bees to a hive that will be soon to reduce the bee population getting ready for winter? I'm not disregarding your suggestion, just really unsure of what I do here. Thanks. Is it a paper combine you are suggesting? Juzzer

Quote Originally Posted by juzzerbee View Post
    What happens queen wise??? Wouldn't there be two then?? How can I tell for sure if and which of my hives they swarmed from? Also, isn't combining them just adding bees to a hive that will be soon to reduce the bee population getting ready for winter? I'm not disregarding your suggestion, just really unsure of what I do here. Thanks. Is it a paper combine you are suggesting? Juzzer
    Juzzer - If you combine at this point in the season you would pick the weakest of hives that you have. If all are strong I'd go with the notion to try to get this swarm ready for winter. For as you say it would be adding bees to a hive that is ready to start wintering or winter preps at least. As for what to do with the queen, well one of them would have to go. If you were unsure of which to kill of, giving them a queen excluder between the two hives gives both hives time to get used to the pharamones of both queens, so in the event that one or the other is killed off, no big deal.

If I were in your shoes, I'd pop these girls into a 5 frame NUC, give them some drawn comb, and if possible, pop another 5 frames on top with honey stores. They should pull through the winter great, and then you have a good hive for spring build up or sell off.
    Thomas Bartram - Since 2013, 43 - 8 F langs, 22 Italian & 21 Russian

Feed them to winter weight, pollen sub and syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Feed them to winter weight, pollen sub and syrup.
    I agree. If you have the equipment feed with 1:1 syrup. It would be good if you could provide them with a drawn frame or 2. When cold weather comes check to see if they have stores. If it were mine I would put about 10 lb. dry sugar on top of newspaper on the top of the frames for winter insurance.

Thanks all. Would you go with the 10 frame deeps or 5 frame nucs like drlonzo stated? I just assumed it should be 2, 10 frame deeps, but now 2, 5 frame nuc boxes seem to be an intelligent idea for a late swarm. How many frames of honey stores should I place in the first deep.......and/or....1st 5 frame nuc? Thanks, juzzer

I would feed them and hope for the best. We still have a strong goldenrod flow happening here in SW Wisconsin, not sure what Watertown looks like, but you are only a couple hours away. We still have some more alfalfa yet to bloom in this area too.

I would FEED, FEED, FEED after the goldenrod and alfalfa is finished! They might just make it yet. Good luck!
    "Life will find a way - it always finds a way." -Jurassic Park (MOVIE/BOOK)
    USDA Zone 5a

I'd say go with the nucs, a little more modular for them to fill a box up before it gets too late where they can situate stores over brood efficiently.

I caught a big one yesterday also. About 10 #er I'd guess. I have never had any luck getting these late swarms to over winter but will try to do just that with this one. I put them in 2 deeps w/ 20 drawn frames. A couple of pollen frames and a couple of honey frames. I will feed them heavy in a few weeks but still wont hold my breath that they will be alive in spring. One thing these late swarms are good for is drawing out wax. Give them a few frames of foundation and you will amased at how fast they make wax

That is good advice, Danno.
    "Life will find a way - it always finds a way." -Jurassic Park (MOVIE/BOOK)
    USDA Zone 5a

Have you determined if there is a queen in the swarm hive yet? That would be a good start as to what course of action would be best.