Default I Extracted Honey; What should I do with my frames?

I have 22 frames from which I just extracted honey. In the past I have set them out to "let the bees clean them up". I've been told that that encourages robbing. I have 2 strongish hives that I wouldn't think would let some thief through their gates. My options that I'm weighing are:

1) Set them out and let the bees clean them as I have in the past

2) Add them to the hives in a super on top and let the bees "clean them" from within the hive. I don't really know if they would do that but it seems like it would work

If it wouldn't encourage bad behavior I'd just as soon set the frames out for them to go to town on. Any strong opinions either way?

honey.jpg

Default Re: I Extracted Honey; What should I do with my frames?

KYBEEs
    2) [I]Add them to the hives in a super on top and let the bees "clean them" from within the hive. if you leave the frames out, that would start an outside robbing and you would have bees all over the place! I would let the bees clean out "wet Frame" from inside and let them move to lower or into brood honey stores (I place my wets on the weaker hives that are short on stores

Put them back on the hives.

Quote Originally Posted by wdale View Post
    KYBEEs
    2) [I]Add them to the hives in a super on top and let the bees "clean them" from within the hive. if you leave the frames out, that would start an outside robbing and you would have bees all over the place! I would let the bees clean out "wet Frame" from inside and let them move to lower or into brood honey stores (I place my wets on the weaker hives that are short on stores
    So that is what they'd do? If I left them on for a week it would help rather than hurt giving them more area to patrol and protect?

If you've got good strong hives you've nothing to worry about as far as putting them back on for a week to allow them to clean them correctly. If you leave them out in the open it not only can cause a robbing problem but they also chew the comb away to get at the honey instead of just cleaning them. That means more work for them next year before they can cap them right..
    Thomas Bartram - Since 2013, 43 - 8 F langs, 22 Italian & 21 Russian

I spray mine with BT azawaii while they are still wet. then stack them with space underneath for air circulation.
    Put them back on the hives in the spring.
    Dan

After a major extraction I place a single wet super above an escape or inter cover board on top of a working hive. The rim of the escape board is painted blue and contrasts immediately with the white boxes indicating which hives have the dried combs, on the return trip a day or two later.
    I feel that the oval hole in the escape board limits the amount of sent the wet combs give off preventing robbing as I have never observed it happening. Also your furniture should be in good tight shape. It is also a good idea to place the wets on late in the day.

Walt