Default Condensing my hives

I Have 5 or 6 boxes on my hives right now, and they are in various states of completion. Very few if any are only honey supers. They have brood, capped/uncapped frames of honey. I do not want to go into winter like this. So... what to do and when. SHould I wait until late sept and remove excess capped frames? Take some brood frames now? ??? I think going into winter I should have 3, maybe 4 mediums most.

Default Re: Condensing my hives

I think they can better handle the changes you make if you do not leave it till cold is about to shut them down. It will take them some time to fine tune the new arrangement and get accustomed to where things are.

Consolidate brood frames as best you can

Consolidate the brood and pollen down to your overwintering configuration. Center the brood in the boxes. Put the rest of the boxes above a queen excluder or remove and harvest. If you want to leave them the honey put it in boxes above the inner cover and they will move it down if there is room. You'll want to consolidate sooner rather than later as crofter recommended. If you don't leave them the honey, plan on feeding.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

What's wrong w/ leaving them the way they are? Maybe take the top two boxes off. Then it would be just like two deeps and a medium.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Not a thing Mark he could even leave it as it is without taking any boxes off. I have gone through winter twice now with 5 mediums.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Dan. NY View Post
    I Have 5 or 6 boxes on my hives right now, and they are in various states of completion. Very few if any are only honey supers. They have brood, capped/uncapped frames of honey. I do not want to go into winter like this. So... what to do and when.
    If you are concerned about removing boxes because they have brood in them, insert a queen excluder in the stack where you want to remove the excess boxes. Once the brood in the boxes above the excluder (assuming the core of the brood nest is below the excluder) have emerged, then you can remove the boxes.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft