Default Yellow Jacket Wasps and Hornet problems!

Has anyone found any great solutions for controlling Yellow Jacket wasp and hornet problems? I've found powdered sugar works very well as an attractant, and I took the zapper out of a bug zapper light, and made a wasp zapper. (Very dangerous I know...) I've been successful in making a dent in the overall wasp and hornet populations,killing hundreds at a time, but I still have huge pressure this year from the wasps and hornets, and have lost many small nucs to these predators.
    Workingtosavetheworld1beeatatime:-)~ Researching winter loss prevention- 12 yrs, 2 recent - 10 Hives, WARMBEES.COM

Default Re: Yellow Jacket Wasps and Hornet problems!

Quote Originally Posted by warmbees View Post
    Has anyone found any great solutions for controlling Yellow Jacket wasp and hornet problems? I've found powdered sugar works very well as an attractant, and I took the zapper out of a bug zapper light, and made a wasp zapper. (Very dangerous I know...) I've been successful in making a dent in the overall wasp and hornet populations,killing hundreds at a time, but I still have huge pressure this year from the wasps and hornets, and have lost many small nucs to these predators.
    Wouldn't powdered sugar attract honey bees? How about a picture of your zapper...
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives / 2 nd Year / 4 TF - 10T {OAV}

Make traps: use a clear soda bottle and clear soda so you can enjoy the view of dead critters.
    Make a hole in the top "shoulder" of the soda bottle, save the cap and cap the bottle when you're done making the trap. To the soda bottle add soda and vinegar and a chopped up strip of banana peel. Let it sit inside the house for a day or so to "ripen". You can cut the hole on the day you want to hang the trap outside to keep the house from smelling like vinegar and banana peels.
    Make sure that the mixture smells "vinegary", you don't want bees to be attracted to the sugar in the soda.
    http://suburbanrancher.wordpress.com...rnet-trapping/

I am using these right now but instead of banana peels I added pieces of turkey to see if the smell of meat works as well. I may be adding more traps with banana peels and compare the 2 for effectiveness.

Install robber screens that will keep the wasp and hornets out.

Robbin, one would think that powdered sugar would also attract honeybees, but I have not seen a single honey bee go to the powdered sugar. I've killed many hundreds of wasps and hornets and not a single honeybee.

Slow Drone: I have installed robbing screens and they help a little for awhile, but the yellow jackets are so persistent that they also learn to go around the sides eventually.

I'll include a picture of my zapper, but with the express disclaimer that it is an electricution hazard, so anyone contemplating building one, needs to build a shield around it or make other arrangements for safety. I don't leave mine on unless I am around. It seems to be most effective that way anyway. Since wasps are also colony based, they go back and tell their buddies. So I place powdered sugar in the bucket and let go for a few hours, and then come back and turn it on for 20 minutes while I am out there, either in the garden or observing/working my bees. This way the 50 or 100 that are in the bucket, get fried, and anything that comes within the time period as well. Then I sprinkle more sugar and leave for awhile. So mine is not turned on unless I am there to watch and keep anybody away that comes out to the back.

WP_001681.jpg

Good News. While I was out taking this pic, and killing many by hand, I was walking my fence line, and came across a yellow-jacket nest. So tonight will be a joy to clobber when they are all there for the night! Anyone that reads this stuff might ask how I am going to do that. With this, I am an expert. I have found two methods that work very well to take out a yellow jacket next. First, dawn dish soap works very well on wasps and hornets. I have a 2 liter hand pump spray bottle from Lowes or Home Depot that works well. I simply fill it with water and then add a very generous squirt of Dawn dish soap. I have tried other brands and they work with varying effectiveness, but Dawn works best. It takes them out just as fast as RAID but without the toxicity. I can hand it to a grandchild and have no concern for poison issues. Second, and of course more fun, you can obtain rodent smoke bombs from your local farm supply. These are used for gofers and the like. You can simply light one off, stick it in the hole of the yellow jacket nest and then cover with dirt or something. The smoke bomb will kill everything in the nest. I then dig out the nest and smash all the eggs and larvae. Either method works well. If you choose the Dawn method, test your mix first, and if it doesn't kill within about 15 seconds, then add more detergent. Don't be stingy, that stuff is cheaper than RAID or any other poison! 1 bottle will last me for 10 refills of my sprayer.
    Workingtosavetheworld1beeatatime:-)~ Researching winter loss prevention- 12 yrs, 2 recent - 10 Hives, WARMBEES.COM

Indeed yellow jackets are persistent! I've used a lot of different robber screen designs because of wasp and yellow jackets. I'm using one design on my nucs and another on my big hives both are working well both can only be entered from the top. You hit the jack pot finding that yellow jackets nest always makes me feel better when I can find them. Good luck and be careful taking them out!