Thread: Wax mosth's

Default Wax mosth's

I have lost the queen in one of my strong hives, and wax moth's are in it. Two of the supers are full of honey can I leave them out where the other bees can get the honey, or will they carry eggs and larva to their hive? Thanks

Default Re: Wax mosth's

If you leave out the honey you could set off robbing. I'd put them on some of your weaker hives. I think as far as eggs go you'll probably be alright. Most of the time the wax moths start out in the pollen frames and spread out from there.

Or, you could extract the honey of coarse.

If you set them AWAY...as far as possible from your hives.......at least a 100 yards...you should be fine. Thats far enough away they shouldnt connect your hives with the frames of honey. Or as Beesohappy said...just put em in the hives.
    3 hives/2 nucs

Another option is to freeze the honey and use it to feed this winter. If you don't have a freezer large enough, at least get them off the hive until you can get the moths under control. I lost one hive last year when the moths had it almost completely webbed up in the lower deep. Almost lost a second hive to moths but I got it under control. (Both hives had lost their queen.) It had three supers of honey on top. Took several weeks of moving supers, frames, etc. around before I got another queen started and the moths eliminated. I had to freeze combs in plastic trash bags then scrape the gunk off several. The rest the bees cleaned up where the damage wasn't bad. Anything without moth larva got frozen also. beesohappy is right about the robbing, especially is there is a dearth. The weaker hives can always use the boost of extra honey

Thanks Fellows:
    I have the frames in the freezer. Again Thanks