Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Michigan Loses Right to Farm Farewell to Backyard Chickens and Beekeepers

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    Really? I state-wide fence ordinance?
    LOL..I say that kind of in jest. A lot of munincipalities do have a fence height ordinance. In a former neighborhood I used to live in we went for a variance from the normal 6' to trying to put up a 10' fence. (I lost..couldnt prove my point of why I wanted a 10" fence) but yeah...a lot of cities do have something in the books. Keeps neighbors from putting up a skyscraper of a wall.
    3 hives/2 nucs

Default Re: Michigan Loses Right to Farm Farewell to Backyard Chickens and Beekeepers

Agricultural lands don't have fence height restrictions. Animals, even bee's must be 250ft away from neighboring property.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa Caras View Post
    LOL..I say that kind of in jest. A lot of munincipalities do have a fence height ordinance. In a former neighborhood I used to live in we went for a variance from the normal 6' to trying to put up a 10' fence. (I lost..couldnt prove my point of why I wanted a 10" fence) but yeah...a lot of cities do have something in the books. Keeps neighbors from putting up a skyscraper of a wall.
    Seems to me a lot of people on beesource get really confused over State and Local requirements. Last time I checked, the State of Kansas has no guidance or laws regarding bees. I live just outside the City in a neighborhood with no homeowner's association, so the only entity that I have to deal with right now is the County. As far as I know, the County doesn't have anything on bees either (they have plenty of rules on horses, goats, etc). It's weird how right-to-farm laws come up frequently as a topic on beesource. If you are not on Ag-zoned land, i doubt it would have any effect. It's even sillier when somebody living in a incorporated city thinks it somehow applies to them.

Like trying to use a right-to-farm law to convince your homeowner's association to change the by-laws and let you keep bees. What are people thinking?
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Santa Caras,

The fence height ordinance is 6' tall for privacy fence.

1796416_284155345074686_165118795_n.jpg

Notice the fence in the background. lol

Same mentality happened in the town I was raised in. The rubbish dump was out of town, in those days it was pretty much an open pit, and smelled pretty bad, we did not understand environmental issues much back then.

As the town expanded suburbs were developed closer and closer to the dump. People could buy these pretty cheap because of odour issues coming from the dump. Soon as there were enough people there though, they launch a big campaign to shut the dump, and eventually succeeded.

Worked well for their pocket books.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Amen!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    Seems to me a lot of people on beesource get really confused over State and Local requirements. Last time I checked, the State of Kansas has no guidance or laws regarding bees. I live just outside the City in a neighborhood with no homeowner's association, so the only entity that I have to deal with right now is the County. As far as I know, the County doesn't have anything on bees either (they have plenty of rules on horses, goats, etc). It's weird how right-to-farm laws come up frequently as a topic on beesource. If you are not on Ag-zoned land, i doubt it would have any effect. It's even sillier when somebody living in a incorporated city thinks it somehow applies to them.

Like trying to use a right-to-farm law to convince your homeowner's association to change the by-laws and let you keep bees. What are people thinking?

From what I've heard, no one wants to move to Detroit except urban farmers. Not that Detroit would mind them, but just knowing they could ask you to shut down your operation would be enough to make me not to want to invest in it in the first place. You can sink a lot of hard work and money into starting up a backyard growing/small animal operation. Plus, it's a lifestyle.

If that's the law now in Michigan, I wouldn't take the chance to try to start anything in a non-agriculturally zoned area.

Bees are not considered livestock in Michigan and this law does not apply to them. The State does have some bee restrictions but nothing new this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
    Bees are not considered livestock in Michigan and this law does not apply to them.
    Do you have a cite for that?
    The question is what to do, and the answer, as always, is complicated by a muddle of reason, emotion, and doubt.

> Bees are not considered livestock in Michigan and this law does not apply to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackam View Post
    Do you have a cite for that?

The FAQ link that I provided in post #8 mentioned this issue, but I think MichiganMike is misinterpreting the meaning of what the agency said. Here is the relevant FAQ section:

Q: Are bees included in the Livestock Siting GAAMP?

A: No. Bees are not considered livestock and are not included in the Site Selection & Odor Control for New/Expanding Livestock Facilities GAAMP. However, bees are included in the Care of Farm Animals GAAMP.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/md...20140830081128

Also, note that while the link in post #8 was correct when I linked it the other day, the MichDARD has moved the document, so my earlier link no longer works, and apparently revised it (now dated August 28). Here is the updated link:
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/md...20140830081128
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Jack/Radar, Mike Hansen the Michigan Apparist spoke at a Michigan beekeepers meeting and said the law does not apply to bees. I will try to paste the link to the write up. It is true that bees are included in the GAAMP, however it is the same as it has always been. The law restricts livestock.
    http://www.michiganbees.org/2014/ag-...right-to-farm/

Jack/Radar, here is a link to a Michigan state Ag. Dpt. page that directly states bees are not included, it is in the FAQ section near the top of the page.

http://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,4610...605---,00.html
    Last edited by MichiganMike; 08-30-2014 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Provide link

Danno, the GAAMP referenced above also states hive density, lots less than 1/4 acre may have 2 hives, 1/4 to 1/2 acre 4 hives, etc. Milford where I live does have a distance requirement for more than eight hives, but that is local not state and is not related to the law in question.

Danno, the GAAMP referenced above also states hive density, lots less than 1/4 acre may have 2 hives, 1/4 to 1/2 acre 4 hives, etc.
    If you have 6 hives going into winter, and 2 hives coming out of winter, does that average out to 4 hives?