Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 frame or 10

Default 8 frame or 10

I currently have two 10 frame hives.
    I am hoping to expand this winter and I am trying to figure out which is more cost effective for producing honey.
    I like the idea of running 8 frame mediums with no deeps. Not sure if there is a disadvantage to doing this?

Default Re: 8 frame or 10

There are some beekeepers on this forum that run eight frame mediums for brood and honey. I have mostly eight frame hives, but my brood boxes are deeps. Supers of honey are heavy, and the ten frame boxes are heavier. I'm 75, weight is important.

I'm phasing out my 10 frame hives. I've sold 10 in the last two weeks. Now I'm build all eights for next year. IT is now just the weight issues. It is easier for me to pick up a eight frame because my arms are staying more inline with my shoulders. I also see that selling bees can make as much money as honey, and time involved. I can sell a eight frame hive for the same price as a ten, and gain two frames of drawn comb on every sell.

Quote Originally Posted by dphillipm View Post
    I'm phasing out my 10 frame hives. I've sold 10 in the last two weeks. Now I'm build all eights for next year. IT is now just the weight issues. It is easier for me to pick up a eight frame because my arms are staying more inline with my shoulders. I also see that selling bees can make as much money as honey, and time involved. I can sell a eight frame hive for the same price as a ten, and gain two frames of drawn comb on every sell.
    I think you are correct in your above post. Unless one is a commercial beekeeper, I cannot see any benefits for 10 frame hives.

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I run mostly 8-frame mediums. Got a few 10-frame hives. Got a few deep bodies here and there.

The only disadvantage of 8-frame mediums is that if a hive really takes off and does well, your hive will be pretty tall.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 12 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

10 frame deeps have the lowest investment per square inch of comb. 8 and 10 frame boxes sell for nearly the same price per box. deep , medium and shallow frames cost nearly the same per frame. medium boxes generally cost more than 2/3 the cost of a deep. so cost is something to consider for many of us.

I have been a beekeeper for over 40 years and have always run 10 frame deeps. that is the way it was when I started. With that said, if it were not for the fact that I have hundreds of hives, I would go to eight frame equipment. With increasing frequency I see more and more hives that are unable or simply do not use stores in the outer frames of a ten frame hive. bees have always stove piped in winter hives, leaving resources unutilized. I have come to feel that there are advantages to an 8 frame set up. Such as bees being able to replenish the hive to its maximum faster with less unused resources in winter. Weather one chooses mediums or deeps matters not as they volumetrically are the same. The advantage to mediums is the universal equipment aspect. Just my thoughts on the matter!

Quote Originally Posted by OrganicBeez View Post
    I am hoping to expand this winter
    Just courious....how are you planning on doing that in Minnesota during winter??
    3 hives/2 nucs

I switched over to all 8 frame mediums this year, and am generally happy with them. They are so much lighter than 10 frame deeps. It also makes equipment simpler: a frame is a frame, a super is a super; I never have to worry about only having shallows when I need a deep.

The only downside I have seen so far is you have to buy more supers to accomplish the equivalent of deeps. Of course I knew this going in. I can't ever see going back to 10 frame hives. The bees utilize the space in the 8 frame hives so much better. Even if I went back to deeps for brood boxes, they would be 8 frame boxes.

Something I've seen too is all medium frames allow me to better manage my hives. It's so much easier to take frames from one or two hives that have a surplus and put them where I need them. My booming hive has 32+ frames from which to take resources needed for other hives. Each frame represents a smaller percentage of the total, so one frame from four mediums isn't taking as big of a bite as one deep frame from a double deep brood box.

This fall I will be able to consolidate hives and move stores more efficiently. Instead of having hives in two deeps with some unused space, I can pack mediums which have no empty comb. Part of this I attribute to solid bottom boards with top entrances. When I ran SBB and bottom entrances, the bees never fully utilized the bottom of the hive. With my new configuration, frames from the bottom box are as fully used as those from upper boxes.

So far I really do like using all 8 frame mediums.
    Hobbyist beekeeper since 2002

So other then weight is there any advantage to eight? Or is there disadvantages to eight.

So other then weight is there any advantage to eight? Or is there disadvantages to eight.
    Did you read Mathesonequip's post on investment cost?

Did you read Tenbears' post on utilization of hive resources?

Did you read my post on hive height?

If you aren't going to read people's posts, why should we bother responding to you?
    Last edited by shinbone; 08-27-2014 at 05:30 PM.
    --shinbone

So other then weight is there any advantage to eight?
    yes

Or is there disadvantages to eight.
    yes

Sorry, I guess I was looking for the secret magical answer
    Not answers that you can find in a google search. I'm trying to decide what to do when I expand. And yes I will do itbin the winter in minnesota when I build it all in my garage.

Just really unsure about how to overwinter an 8 frame all medium hive? 3 boxes? 4?

Iam pretty fit and relatively young. I lifted a eight frame deep a few hours ago and it kinda sucked ! Iam going the medium route next year. I like what M .B. Writes about bee decision making also .It isn't as much heavy ,as awkward and heavy and I squished too many bees . Never mind having every piece of gear interchangeable . Iam new so - IMHO

I have no original ideas of my own when it comes to beekeeping. Not one. Every practice I have tried, I first learned from talking with other beekeepers, reading books and magazines, and yes, even "googling" a topic. I take and use what makes sense to me, reject what seems beyond the pale, adapt practices from other regions, and form my own method of beekeeping that I hope will work for me.

Sorry, I guess I was looking for the secret magical answer
    No problem. We all wish it was that easy, but you will find there are no easy answers in the world of beekeeping.
    --shinbone

Quote Originally Posted by homesteader824 View Post
    I have no original ideas of my own when it comes to beekeeping. Not one. Every practice I have tried, I first learned from talking with other beekeepers, reading books and magazines, and yes, even "googling" a topic. I take and use what makes sense to me, reject what seems beyond the pale, adapt practices from other regions, and form my own method of beekeeping that I hope will work for me.
    DITTO, and I will add, a well thought out post.

Just as a side note, I was talking to a local Beek that works with a professor at a local college that teaches bee keeping (I'm in Michigan). He makes equipment and sells both sizes of hives. He told me (take it for what it is worth) that he lost 50% of his 10 frame hives last winter and the prof, who uses exclusively 8 frame hives, lost one out of 25 (I think that was the number). He claimed it was the hive size that helped ........I'm sure I'm going to get blasted but that is what I was told. Could be voodoo or there might be something to it, I don't know.