Default How can I get my queen to increase egg production, before Fall arrives!

(This is my second summer as a beek. Last summer was much easier.)

I had several requeening issues this summer, as a result both my hives were queenless for about a month.

I'm thinking that going into winter, I'm going to be low on bees if I don't do something.

Is there anything I can do to encourage my queens to increase egg production in this last month, before fall arrives.

Thanks

Default Re: How can I get my queen to increase egg production, before Fall arrives!

Feeding sugar syrup. I believe in a 2 parts water one part sugar ratio will encourage laying.

Default Re: How can I get my queen to increase egg production, before Fall arrives!

1 to 1 sugar syrup will mimic a nectar flow and stimulate the queen to lay. Don't let them run out as long as they are consuming it. Also feed pollen patties, but don't put in so much that the small hive beetles get it. Give it to them a little at a time so there is not much excess.

2 to 1 syrup will be stored for winter.

If you feed at a slower rate (a little every night) it does more to stimulate brood rearing than a lot all at once. A lot often backfills the brood nest and leaves no where for the queen to lay. If we have a fall flow that usually isn't a problem for me (and we are right now). If we have a pollen dearth in the fall, feeding pollen accomplishes more than syrup...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

add some empty drawn frames to the center of the hive brood-nest if the bees have backfilled already. if you have to, extract a few frames to get the empty frames. as soon as first frost or end of flow be sure the hives are up to weight for winter. this is maybe a week ago past due for me, works best a month or so before flow end.

The challenge to getting numerical buildup in the fall is that the bees and queens are not thinking about building up numbers but of conserving stores and situating the boundaries of their brood nest and stores for the winter. Some queens just will not respond to feeding with more laying this time of year while others will. I have had hives that seemed completely content to go into the winter with a frame of bees and no amount of feeding would change that. (Some of these same hives would blow the doors off by April through.) Try feeding a thin syrup maybe even less than 50/50 (by weight) through a jar feeder (I place an empty super on the inner cover and put the jar over the hole and they replace the lid). The thin syrup dispensed more slowly through a jar feeder as opposed to the bulk type feeders will keep them from stuffing the brood nest with honey. Feed a quart every other day for a week and check to see how the queen is responding. If you see that she is responding with increased laying you might rotate an empty drawn frame into the brood nest to give her more space to lay. Keep feeding the thin syrup every two or three days six or more weeks or until there is a fall flow. You can expand the brood nest by rotating in empty drawn frames but remember that even if you succeed in getting the queen to lay more population lags stimulation by three weeks so don't expand the brood nest beyond what the bees can maintain. Some folks suggest adding a little lemongrass oil to stimulate laying as well.

I am sorry, but I disagree with the last post. I have 6 two-month-old queens that I mass fed about 2 gallons of syrup last month and gave them pollen paddy, even with normal pollen widely available. I checked on the hives yesterday and I have 2 deep and 3 medium frames solidly capped with brood in each hive. They are absolutely thinking about building up for the winter and they are going to be doing this in pacific nortwhest untill about mid October. It is hard to get them to store anything because they are in such a hurry. These are not even italian queens, but NW Carnies who are thrifty and concervative with resources.

Late summer is a buildup time and they lay almost as intensely as in the spring. I do realize that I have young queens that have a higher egg-laying motive force, but I observe similar behavior in my friends' hives who do not have young queens. The hives that tend not to do that suffer from lack of workforce or lackluster health, not lack of stimulus for buildup.

I do agree with the feeding routine that Mike B and Tim B suggested. Do what you must based on pollen availability.

nectar [or light syrup] + pollen [or substitute] + empty space to lay eggs + nice warm days = more brood.

what is the time factor with feeding syrup and pollen patties, to getting new brood?

before it starts to cool down for mid fall. this is a local question. for me a month or 5 weeks maybe? too many variables to say for sure. the big one is the weather.

Queens mated before the solstice slow down afterwards. Queens mated afterwards are increasing their brood. Try making an OTS queen.