Default Goldenrod Flow to the max!

My girls have been going nuts over the last week or so collecting what appears to be goldenrod pollen! There's al 15 acres field only 1.1 miles away and it's in full bloom; another half mile and the goldenrod acreage expands to another 70 acres. All of this GR acreage was farmland up until 40 years ago and the GR has taken over.

I'll start removing the supers in maybe another six weeks and extracting the honey; here's hoping that the late season honey tastes good but even it isn't that great, I'll feed it back to the hives. If anyone has a more knowledgeable idea, please let me know since I'm on a one-year beek.

Default Re: Goldenrod Flow to the max!

I don't think I would pull the GR honey.

We pull right before it blooms and let them keep the GR to get them through the winter.

Goldenrod honey is considered delicious by many including me. I would extract it and sell it separately. Having more than one variety on the table is a great sales technique.

Looking forward to the GR flow , can't wait its good honey , its my best flow , just leave enough for the bee's .

Here in upstate, NY seeing less goldenrod than last year so still with a dearth. Last year was great and so was the honey. Would love to have that much GR now!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Goldenrod honey is considered delicious by many including me. I would extract it and sell it separately. Having more than one variety on the table is a great sales technique.
    Goldenrod honey is one of my favorites as well. Creamy buttery goodness. We do forewarn customers GR honey crystallizes quick, and what to do if/when it crystallizes. Some of our customers absolutely loved last years GR honey.

Shane

The bees can have my.spring honey. I hope for only GR honey. Most say its the best honey they've ever had when I give them a jar.

All this Golden Rod talk got me excited! It hasn't started to bloom down here yet in Mississippi on the coast. I parents that live further up closer to Hattisburg said they seen a couple rogue Golden Rods start to spring up that way. IMO its still to hot down here. It was 95F today.
    My little Russian girls are starting to pull in some bright orange/yellow pollen though so maybe they found some GR in bloom.

Chris, I'm in pascagoula. When does it usually start?
    Last edited by south MS rookie; 08-28-2014 at 09:51 PM. Reason: wrong post

Been working around Asheville North Carolina this week and noticed some starting to bloom. Should be starting soon back home in South Louisiana.

I saw the first goldenrod blooms on July 30 here in East Tn. and was looking forward to an early flow. It didn't happen. Those blooms I saw must have just been in the perfect location for blooming because in our area only this week have I seen massivie quanities of pollen being brought in and the goldenrod is just getting ready to bust out all over the place.

It seemed like there was a little goldenrod blooming a month ago here, but no bees working them and not much blooming. Full bloom now...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    It seemed like there was a little goldenrod blooming a month ago here, but no bees working them and not much blooming. Full bloom now...
    Same thing here, quite a bit is blooming and pollen has stopped rolling in in almost every hive. Our biggest hive (by bee numbers) has thousands of bees just sitting on it presumably because they have nothing to do.

They are in the woods and the entire woods seems to be blooming with what looks like yellow snapdragons. These plants end up producing little seed pods that spring open when you brush against them during hunting season (much like impatiens). Bumblebees are working them, but apparently not much to attract honeybees, unfortunately.

Edit: A quick google search tells me it is an impatiens - impatiens pallida. Or pale touch-me-not or jewelweed. TONS of it in the woods around our hives and either the bees have worked it already or they don't care much for it.
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 08-29-2014 at 09:11 AM.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...s-in-the-south

"Here in Mississippi, u won't see goldenrod blooming until late August-mid September, because of our longer growing season. Plants bloom according to sunlight and/or temperature. That is why the northern states have earlier late blooms than we do. "

So start looking for it, but it's still kinda hot IMO.

I love the GR flow and the bee's are so happy when it's is here.

The bee yards smell so good and I have GR every where on my 12 acres .
    We have two types this one.

and this type.

I think this is my favorite time of the year to watch the bee's come and go they are just every where.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

Got good rainfall today and more predicted for this weekend. Goldenrod bloom is still a few weeks out, but it is getting tall. If we get good rainfall this weekend that ought to put the icing on the cake for the goldenrod bloom.
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 5 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    This sums it up here as well. There was some flow when I checked the yards last weekend. Looking forward to seeing how they made out in a week of warm weather.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshmasterpat View Post
    Got good rainfall today and more predicted for this weekend. Goldenrod bloom is still a few weeks out, but it is getting tall. If we get good rainfall this weekend that ought to put the icing on the cake for the goldenrod bloom.
    We've had 6" in the past 18 hours, next door! Want some? LOL

The two types of goldenrod in the pictures is there a common name for both . I know
    There are many different types.