Thread: "wet" supers

Default "wet" supers

What do the bees do with the remaining honey from extraction if I put those supers back on? Do they move it down to the bottom boxes or just tidy it up in that upper super?

Default Re: "wet" supers

You could put them back on for a bit and they will clean them up, leave them on and they may make an attempt to start filling them if you have any fall flow going. You may get a few frames of reserves to bank in your freezer.

Wet supers will get refilled fast if a honeyflow is available. The bees will use the honey to rebuild cells or just store it where needed. If nothing is going on that will be in the brood nest. At least you are not going to expose them to mass robbing and getting torn up and bringing possibly diseased or varroa laden bees into your apiary. Amazing how people call that cleaning.

OK, I think I will put them on for a day or two and check on them. Thanks guys!!!

a pulled into a lady club members home to borrow the club extractor. I asked why she had the wet supers out in the yard, instead of putting them back on the hives. There were bees everywhere, definately my hives were there just over 0.5 mile away. She said she found one wax moth larva and didn't want to infest the hive.

I just laughed. LOL how silly.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz24 View Post
    What do the bees do with the remaining honey from extraction if I put those supers back on? Do they move it down to the bottom boxes or just tidy it up in that upper super?
    Mine usually move it down, but it depends on how much space they have and how much nectar is coming in.

Yeah wax moth in the hive is the least of my problems! haha. I keep my stuff in an air tight "bee house" and they still wreak havoc. I recently began leaving the light on 24/7 with good results.