Default New Beek need help

Posted this in an other post. But may not have been the right section. New bee keeper and have three hives had four but one got robbed last week and lost a queen maybe two. Combined the two weak hives not finding a queen in either. I am in north Florida on the Gulf Coast. Does my combined two hives have time to make a queen and her have time to mate? They have plenty of honey and frames of brood. Or should I find a mated queen? They are consuming about 2.5 gallons sugar water every 24 hours from an open community feeder.

Thanks

Greg

Default Re: New Beek need help

Quote Originally Posted by GregSkip View Post
    They are consuming about 2.5 gallons sugar water every 24 hours from an open community feeder.
    At that rate, they're going to have every cell in the hive packed with sugar water in a very short amount of time, and there won't be anywhere for a queen to lay. You did say it was a community feeder so all of it isn't going into one particular hive but, IMO that is still a lot of syrup for 3 hives to eat in one day. I would think in the panhandle of FL you would be okay allowing them to raise a queen, as you won't have a freeze until late November if you even have one then, but I am quite new at this too.
    Purveyor of almost organic honey and treatment free bees.

You got time for them to make one, but it would be better to get a mated queen. I'm in the same area and should have some ready in about a week

>Does my combined two hives have time to make a queen and her have time to mate?
    Yes (my bees are still making drones, are your’s?) You need eggs or young larva for them to make a queen, add a frame from another hive.

>Or should I find a mated queen?
    A strong hive will always make a far superior queen.

I would be looking at why your hives were robbed. Weak? Queenless? Diseased?
    Post pictures of your brood.

Was there open larva in either hive?

There are ways to tell what was going on in your hive and how long ago. Is there open brood? - had a queen within 3-8 days. Any egg? - had a queen within the last 3 days. Any opened swarm cells? Any queen cells with larva-thick milky jelly?

>They are consuming about 2.5 gallons sugar water every 24 hours from an open community feeder.
    I think you are open feeding the entire neighborhood. And if you hive is drink 2.5 gal a day if must be very big.

I think you have time to make a queen but, I think it would be better this time of year to go ahead and buy a mated queen. Queens are relatively cheap and easy to come by this time of year. My mating success really falls off after July. I think it has to do with no flow and the afternoon showers that can pop up any afternoon in the summer. I normally get 70-90% success in the spring and early summer but, it falls off to about 50% sometimes in the late summer. That's been my experience any way. Good luck either way you go.

Thanks for all the input. I have located a local source fro mated queens and will be picking up two this week.

Plan to revert to quart jar feeders through the tops.

Greg