Default Counterfeit money

From a cash deposit from the farmers market.
    Why would anyone counterfeit a ten dollar bill? Paper fabric felt good...to me. Print quality and color, when compared to a good note was perfect. Only when held up to the light could I see that the vertical text imbedded in the fabric, noting the denomination was absent. If you can do that....why not a twenty? I understand the hundreds get a lot more scrutiny....but twenties?
    The teller who caught it said that a few months ago they go a rash of bad one dollar bills. Go figure.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Default Re: Counterfeit money

Around here $20s get more attention from clerks than smaller bills, so my guess is that the counterfeiter thinks that doing $10s means less risk of getting caught.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I have a feeling my grandchildren will be telling their children how they can remember the days when people still used cash.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

>I have a feeling my grandchildren will be telling their children how they can remember the days when people still used cash.

That and trying to explain what a penny was...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I worked with a guy who spent ten years in federal penn for counterfeiting 700,000 dollars of fives and ones!! Lol! He drove all over the country for years putting them in change machines! When he got caught he had almost a ton of change in his truck! Dumbass! True story!

>Dumbass!

On the other hand he got away with it for years... most counterfeiters don't... nobody looks at ones and fives...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Anyway a guy can segway this into a conversation about counterfeit HONEY?

Something I would suggest is as radically a problem as is FAKE MONEY...

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    The teller who caught it said that a few months ago they go a rash of bad one dollar bills. Go figure.
    A few years ago, there was someone in Canada counterfeiting 50 cent pieces.

Apparently they were quite good, but cost him upwards of 40 cents each to make.

The people who counterfeit the 1s and 5s tend to go long stretches before getting caught. Unloading 1s and 5s would be a bit of work lol
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

What was he ...a half a loon?

The book I read on counterfeiting back in grade school had the story of a Francis LeRoy Henning who counterfeited 1944 nickels without the large "P" mintmark which previous and subsequent years had... he only got caught because he picked the one year when no nickels had the "P" mintmark... He made nickels from several different years and probably would have gotten away with if it he hadn't picked that year...

I buy the pens used to detect counterfeit bills for around $5 bucks ea at the local print shop. I have only detected one $20 dollar bill this year that was bad (knock on wood). I am amazed at how many people break one hundred dollar bills for a small jar of honey.

Just a heads up there is a way to fool the pens

For a small scale operator like me, I think the surest method to tell is the embedded text noting the bill's denomination. Pretty hard to duplicate that. I will do that for hundreds and fifties but I'll probably take my chances with twenties and smaller.....unless I start seeing more bad ones.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I have a feeling my grandchildren will be telling their children how they can remember the days when people still used cash.
    Can you remember the day when it was backed up with gold? The next craze is plastic money with increasing security. No matter what security measures are imposed criminals will find a way around it.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I remember an old joke about a dimwitted counterfeiter who made $18 bills. After he printed them up he realized his mistake so he headed for a small town out in the boonies figuring that they were too dumb to know better. He arrived and pulled into the gas station. After filling up he says to the attendant,

"Hey, do you happen to have change for an $18 bill?".

"Sure", says the attendant. "Do you want two 9's or three 6's?"
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Can you remember the day when it was backed up with gold? The next craze is plastic money with increasing security. No matter what security measures are imposed criminals will find a way around it.
    Which is what we saw with Target and a few other major password fiascos. It gets a bit dizzying (at least for me) and a bit nonsensical trying to keep passwords unique yet easily remembered when each site has its own rules. I question whether people even spend time trying to hack individual passwords anymore when you hear stories about some company losing millions of passwords. Im sure there is a black market for them. What difference does it make how strong an individual password is when your trusting somebody in Timbuktu with it anyway. Sorry, I know.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney