Thread: Queen

Default Queen

If you loose your queen and there isn't any eggs young enough for the workers to raise a new queen, Will a worker lay, and will they raise a new queen from the workers eggs? I've heard this both ways. some say they will others say the worker will only lay drone eggs. Thanks

Default Re: Queen

Workers only lay drone eggs. You can move a frame of brood w/ 3 day or less old larvae and or eggs and the bees will probably make a new queen. Make sure to get all the bees off of the frame.

I think I have the same question you are asking. Phrased a bit different... Will a hive place a drone egg in a queen cup and attempt to make a queen from that egg? Is that what you are wondering?

If not, as mentioned, a worker will only lay drone eggs. So if they do place the drone egg in the queen cup, which I am wondering, it would not turn into a "real" queen as it is a drone to begin with and cannot turn into a queen. One of my hives is in this situation. Only capped drone brood, but two queen cells being built.

dsegrest is correct....You would also want to take a look in the hive (or hives) to see how the drone population is doing now and what kind of capped drone brood there is. I'm not sure it would help to try to give the colony the resources this late in the season to raise their own queen if when she emerges, she remains a virgin for the lack of opportunity to mate, they'd be a month further down the road, and in the same boat.

double post