Exclamation Watched my Queen lay an egg on top of capped brood!

Need some help here. I've had bees for five years now, this year was my first year that I personally re-queened a hive (they usually did it themselves when re-queening was required). I didn't have a choice, the old queen just disappeared and there were no eggs for the workers to make a new one. That in itself I found very strange. But...to my current problem. This queen has been in the hive for about two weeks now, and my first check had her laying beautifully. Today was my second check and I wasn't overly happy with everything I saw. The larvae all looks good, shiny and white just like they should, capped brood looks healthy too, but some of the eggs looked like they had been laid in the center of the cell and then fallen over. I also found a few eggs that were laid on the side of the cell not the bottom, usually indicative of a laying worker as I understand it. The really big thing was that as I watched, my Queen laid an egg in a cell that was half-full of pollen; the next egg she laid was on top of capped brood. It looked like the egg just dropped out of her...
    Has anyone ever seen this? Or even heard of it?

Default Re: Watched my Queen lay an egg on top of capped brood!

An egg lays down as it gets close to the time it hatches (72-84 hours after its laid) so don't worry about that. Personally, I wouldn't worry about eggs over pollen or anywhere else. Its a good thing that she can lay a lot of eggs. Workers will do the housekeeping and clean things up. I've read of queens laying all over queen cages in transit, your observations might signal you have a fecund queen.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Good to hear Lee! Thanks for the info. By the way, good word 'fecund'...not too often you hear that one in regular conversation

It isn't that unusual to see a queen letting an egg out her tail end while moving across the comb. I don't know if it has to do w/ a new queen w/ a lot of eggs to lay or just not a lot of control over her rear end. But it isn't all that unusual.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I probably heard Mark use that word or I wouldn't have known it Katrina. Its good that you are looking at the combs for something new. Good luck
    LeeB

No, that was some other "f" word.

Probably fruitful - or even fructiferous.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Yeah, that was it, fructiferous. As in "Brian's Posts are always so fuctiferous."

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Probably fruitful - or even fructiferous.
    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Yeah, that was it, fructiferous. As in "Brian's Posts are always so fuctiferous."
    Could have been....My hearing is bad.....So are my eyes.
    LeeB

HAHAHAHA!! you guys are funny!