Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

The "Branch" method of harvesting honey

5K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  sqkcrk 
#1 ·
I would like to tell my method of harvesting honey for those that may be interested. Not practical for large operations, but works for me. I place a empty super with lid next to the hive. Smoke the hive lightly. Break a leafy small branch off a nearby tree or bush. Open the hive and start removing capped frames, using the branch to brush the bees off the frame at the front of the hive. Once all bees are off, pop into empty box, cover back up with lid. Continue as above until done with that hive. Remove empty super from hive when done, or if robbing just a few frames, replace with empty or drawn frames when you are done (Don't do what I did once - "Ooops! forgot frames! I'll just close them up without, and come back later." Then forget.) If you are replacing with undrawn frames place to the outside of any started frames, don't alternate or you will end up with huge fat capped frames and either undrawn or really skinny capped frames.

For some reason the branch upsets the bees a lot less than shaking them off, or brushing them off with a brush. I don't have any problems unless I drop a frame or something similar, even then if I back off momentarily they will usually calm back down. I have tried all three multiple times at the same hives to check if I was crazy or not, but it seems to be universal. Don't know why, but I just go with it.

JC

See less See more
#4 ·
I guess I've used the "goose feather" method, the "chicken wing" method, the "hand full of grass" method, the "bee brush" method, the "branch" method and the "pounding bees" method... The "pounding bees" method works best if you have old solid brood comb. Any of the brushing methods work better if not. None of the brushing methods work well unless you learn to be decisive and get a good flicking motion going...

#7 ·
Michael, you're right, it is a decisive flick, not a slow brush. I think they hate being rolled. I run foundationless now, probably why shaking them off doesn't work for me, I am too hesitant, because I am afraid of damaging the comb. And gjt? I love it! Have to build me one! Got plans?

JC

#8 ·
I use the 5 gal. shop vac method. I reverse the hose so it blows out. Take the super and stand it on it's side and just blow the bees out. It takes about 10 min. to get them all out and it doesn't seem to hurt them. Grab the super and walk away, they don't follow. My hives are close to a power source so this works for me.

#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.