Default Split gone wrong?

Saturday I attempted my first split. I took a frame of open brood, a frame of capped brood, a frame of honey, and a frame of pollen (at least that is how I would describe the majority of each frame) and put all of that in a new hive body with 6 empty frames (deep). Yesterday and today the front of the donor hive is completely covered with bees. The hive was pretty crowded when I took the frames, but there were no queen cells Saturday morning. Would you say they are prepping to swarm? Anything I should consider to stop the swarm? I have empty nuc boxes with frames in the area in hopes of catching a swarm. Maybe I will catch my own?

Default Re: Split gone wrong?

How hot is it where you are? It was in the high 70's here today a my stronger hives were bearding.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

My strong hives have looked like that since June, with tons of bees covering the lower two boxes constantly, unless it's raining....it was just bearding because of the heat inside strong hives and a lack of a nectar flow, so everyone hangs out at home. I have a nuc that beards when it's hot out. Their way of cooling the place down.
    Newbee with three hives and two nucs, zone 6b

Is there a queen in there? I don't think they will do any swarm prep if there isn't a
    queen in there. How are they going to survive without a laying queen? And where are they
    going?
    Gratefulness is the key to a happy lifeIf we are not grateful then we will not be happy since we always want something +

If the queen is in the donor hive, most of the bees you moved to the split will return to the original hive.

I'm guessing the idea is you want the split to make a new queen? If so, they will be struggling because of lack of bees. What you can do is swap the 2 hives around so that when the bees from the donor hive return to their normal position they will join the new split. You may need to give the split a new comb with eggs.

All this is leaving aside whether you should actually be making a split at this time of year.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

It is way too late in my area to be making splits now - don't know about your area for sure but I suspect it is too late there as well.

The split does NOT sound like it wants to swarm.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

I am not sure what is going on. My interpretation of what I saw was that the donor hive did not appreciate coughing up brood, nurse bees, eggs, and groceries for the new hive. Perhaps I have been seeing exaggerated bearding because of the disturbance. I did not check closely this morning, but there were far fewer bees than yesterday morning. Perhaps they have decided to go back in. Perhaps they have swarmed?

When I made the split, I knew the foragers would go to the old hive, but I thought the nurse bees would stay with the moved frames. Is that not the case? I may have wasted some bees and brood.

Oops. Posted twice
    Last edited by brdmkr; 08-26-2014 at 10:23 AM. Reason: multiple posts