Default Showering with my girls while removing supers

I Had a not so lovely shower the other day while doing a hive check. Forcast was 40% chance of rain in the afternoon. I got moving at something like 10:30 and tried to move quick as possible. 3 hives and a split. I had bee go and a fume board and it worked well for me in the past. It did not work well this time however and it took me oh so long to remove all the honey. My hives are kind of a mess. Every box has some amount of brood in them. Even my 7 stack hive had a small amount of brood on the lower part. !!! For those reading this queen excluders are what I am going to put on there in the spring. No more messing around for me. I do not care if its a "honey excluder" as has been mentioned on here before.

So.. I am moving, shaking frames, lifting boxes, etc and i notice a few clouds blocking the sun now and again. Not bad, just something I noted. I keep moving and looking frame by frame, box by box while my bee go does little except stink up my gloves and mame me want to barf. I figure this is due to the brood all over. I keep moving and notice more and more clouds and I see a large mass of dark clouds moving closer and closer. Oh shoot.. Can I make it?? I have the last hive open and it starts raining. Then it gets harder and faster and pretty soon I am soaked, the bees are soaked, the frames are soaked. Everybody and everything is wet. I figured they would get real mad and turn angry. This did not happen, rather the opposite. They stopped flying and hunkered down. Luckily this was a fairly brief shower and it ended, though I was soaked head to toe. The girls started flying again and this is when I thought they would get me. Luckily by this time I was about done and left.

I pulled about 10 gallons from 3 hives. Left the split as it is not huge. Golden rod is blooming and I hope to harvest enough for a few jars of golden rod next run. This honey is very very high percentage of Basswood. A strong minty taste, fairly light, just about the same as last year. Looks like this is my honey and I can count on it being similar in the future. Good stuff, lots of fun but oh so much work.

Default Re: Showering with my girls while removing supers

You're right about that, fun, interesting, and work.

Friday the sun was shining. I decided to go through 1 of my hives with the goal of making a split of some sort. Had just gone through super top deep when black clouds and thunder came along with a few drops of rain. Hurriedly closed up the hive just in time for the sun to come out. Had to water garden...Hive still not split.

great narrative- having fun yet?