Default Why do they build only drone comb if I use foundationless next to foundation?

I typically use ritecell foundation in my broodbox and supers. However, I wanted to get a little bit of cut comb honey this year so I in my super I did mostly foundation, but added just two frames of foundationless. I have great honey stores on the foundation combs, but they laid drones in the foundationless. I removed the drone larvae/pupae and put the foundationless back on, and she laid drones there again. I know I could use a queen excluder to fix this, but I'm wondering, is this common... that if I put foundationless frames next to foundation, they tend to lay eggs in the foundationless? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Why do they build only drone comb if I use foundationless next to foundation?

Because the hive perceived that it needed more drones. Do you provide foundationless in the brood nest for drone laying? If they have adequate room for drones in the brood nest they will draw normal cell sizes in the supers. Otherwise they will draw drone cells and the queen will migrate and find the cells.
    20 hives, 10 years, T and TF, All local stock

Default Re: Why do they build only drone comb if I use foundationless next to foundation?

Quote Originally Posted by rogman View Post
    I typically use ritecell foundation in my broodbox and supers. However, I wanted to get a little bit of cut comb honey this year so I in my super I did mostly foundation, but added just two frames of foundationless. I have great honey stores on the foundation combs, but they laid drones in the foundationless. I removed the drone larvae/pupae and put the foundationless back on, and she laid drones there again. I know I could use a queen excluder to fix this, but I'm wondering, is this common... that if I put foundationless frames next to foundation, they tend to lay eggs in the foundationless? Thanks in advance.
    Basically what he said. If you are going to do foundationless you have to allow them their drone frames. I just put them in the 1,2 or 9,10 position and when they need drones queen will lay in them, when they don't they will store honey in them. If you keep removing them they will keep making them, so don't fight them (which is kind of thepoint to foundationless).

You're bees need one or two frames of drones. Leave them there & the next frames will be drawn for worker brood.
    Dan

Give them room for drone comb in the brood nest.