Default Any way to dissuade a swarm?

Popped into one of my hives briefly right at dusk this evening and was surprised to see queen cells. I think a couple of them were ripe but couldn't be sure because it was dusky. There were a few cups on other frames, but I couldn't tell if they were ripe or not.

It's awfully late in the year to be doing a split where I'm located. Is there any way to dissuade them from leaving, or am I doomed if they've already made cells?

TIA
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

Default Re: Any way to dissuade a swarm?

You could do a split containing the mother-queen, open brood, enough nurse bees and a couple of empty frames for the queen to begin laying again. Move the split somewhere else. Get rid of all queen cells in the main hive. Check in a few days and remove any new cells --- now the hive is hopelessly queenless. Wait a few more days and re-combine the split back into the main hive.
    Triangle Bees

how do you know they're not superceding their queen, what's the mite load like?

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    how do you know they're not superceding their queen, what's the mite load like?
    haven't checked the mite load lately and couldn't last night because i was rushed. i plan to go back tomorrow and do a more thorough inspection.

this hive is on a farm about 3 minutes from my office, so i took a short break and headed over to examine things a bit more in depth. i would guess these to be supercedure cells based on the number of them. i counted maybe 5 to 7 cups total, 2 of which were ripe and another 2-3 that had an egg deposited in them. she's laying an awesome pattern IMO, but i suppose they know better than i do about her performance. still no idea on mite loading....

below is a photo of one side of one brood frame. looks OK to me, but again what do i know?

bees_zps6f4f9568.jpg
    Last edited by imthedude; 08-25-2014 at 02:39 PM. Reason: photo