Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Mann Lake rep here on BSource?

That would be a royal pain in the butt. How do you set two thermostats the same and know which one to raise or lower if that is your choice. If you are going to do something do it right. Get a temperature controller that has hi and low limits on the set point. If one or the other goes outside the set point limits an alarm is indicated. Usually it is a red or green led but you can get them with an audio alarm or wire one up. Then your process is in control and if it isn't you are warned.
    Of course, if you leave a bottling tank on and unattended for an extended period the water can still evaporate and create a problem.
    That is why I suggested oil instead of water.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    That is why I suggested oil instead of water.

Oil is a fire hazard!

Remember ... this thread is about an overheated bottling tank.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    I'm not sure how a manufacturer could easily incorporate a thermostat failure warning system.
    The temperature controller has to have enough intellegence to know when it is outside it's setpoint. This is common everyday equipment off the shelf and has been for many years.
    Brian Cardinal

[/COLOR]
    Oil is a fire hazard!

Remember ... this thread is about an overheated bottling tank.
    So is honey, wax and proplise. It is not a hazard when the process is under control.
    Brian Cardinal

Ace redesigned the Maxant bottling tank to be be using oil (instead of water) as a heat distribution medium in an earlier thread ....

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...61#post1147261

Ace defended his sealed oil design as "cheaper and less fuss", but it was only AFTER extensively promoting and defending his oil design that Ace found out that it is the water (or oil) that is responsible for distributing the heat evenly to all parts of the bottling tank.
    Rader, how much do you think having that fragil sight glass on the tank cost? If the manufacturer were going to produce the bottling tank with a sealed oil heat transfer it wouldn't be as big. It would actually be lighter than it is now. Really, look at the design of the space heater. There probably isn't a quart of oil in that thing and it puts out 1500 watts. What do they rate the hot water heater on the Dadant tank? How do they get the heat all the way around the tank if it is generated by the red device on the side? How can it possibly be even?
    Cart before the horse, perhaps?

Graham

> Oil is a fire hazard!
    > Remember ... this thread is about an overheated bottling tank.

So is honey, wax and proplise. It is not a hazard when the process is under control.
    OK, Ace, perhaps you could elucidate on this a bit - honey is a potential fire hazard?

What kind of conditions does it take to get honey to burn?

Lets keep in mind that the heater in a bottling tank is an immersion heater - that is - the heating element is submerged in the water between the inner and outer tanks. If the water were to be replaced with oil, the heater would be directly immersed in the oil. Any honey or wax/propolis is physically separated from the heater by the inner tank wall.
    Graham

I'm really surprised it does not have a high temp limit switch. Almost all home appliances do that have heating elements. For $10 you can install one and move on. All you need to do is figure out what you want for a high limit temp. They are available in many styles, this is just one of them. http://catalog.selcoproducts.com/cat...utomatic-reset Ya'll make this way to complicated. The energy spent on this thread would have had it researched and done along time ago.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by LanduytG View Post
    The energy spent on this thread would have had it researched and done along time ago.

Greg
    LOL.

That is true of many threads.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by LanduytG View Post
    For $10 you can install one and move on.
    Greg which one do you suggest? I looked at one and it had a differential of 6 to 100 degrees. How sensitive is honey?

Why is it that when there is something discussed that is technical on BS it is too much energy spent? If that is your feeling I suspect you are not speaking for everyone. Most people are here to lean or teach.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by lakebilly View Post
    OT. I would expect them to say: send it back, let's have a look at it....not: sell you another one.
    Is that really what you would do? Is that what happens when something wears out on your vehicle? I think your expectations are unreasonable and would not be a good business practice for anyone.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

What kind of conditions does it take to get honey to burn?
    Uncontrollable heat.
    Brian Cardinal

Why is it that when there is something discussed that is technical on BS it is too much energy spent?
    Technical threads? My little quip was related to the amount of time, energy, and hot air, devoted to husbandry threads. If there was an effort / reward ratio the progress would be interesting.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

You are are still here Ot so so what you say is not what you do.
    Brian Cardinal

Greg which one do you suggest? I looked at one and it had a differential of 6 to 100 degrees. How sensitive is honey?

Why is it that when there is something discussed that is technical on BS it is too much energy spent? If that is your feeling I suspect you are not speaking for everyone. Most people are here to lean or teach.
    This is not rocket science and no need to reinvent the wheel. All that's being talked about is a safety to shut it down when something goes wrong. It should have that anyway and its hard to believe it doesn't. If you want good control then you need to get rid of the junk that's on it and buy a better controller. A lot of choices in electronic temp control that will keep it within a couple of degrees and most under a $100.

Greg

You are are still here Ot so so what you say is not what you do.
    Won't argue with that. I don't work very hard these days, what's your excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Is that really what you would do?
    For some reason he is not here, no where to be seen. I suspect he is done venting and realized he is as much to blame as the equipment.
    Brian Cardinal

So is honey,
    Honey is a fire hazard? I'd love to see you set it on fire.
    Mark Berninghausen

Took all of 2 minutes to find something that will control with precision. Has proportional band and everything.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...=index&cPath=1
    http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...dex&cPath=20_3

Greg

I'd love to see you set it on fire.
    Wow, didn't you give instructions on how to burn a hive for AFB? Does the honey put out the fire? Will a tire burn? Probably not if you use a match.
    Brian Cardinal

LB, did you buy this tank new? I have had two MAXANT Bottling tanks for years and have never had either the old Heat Controls stick or over heat. Never had water boil or evaporate and burn the honey.

I think that what you should do is contact Jake at MAXANT and see if their Heat Controller will fit your Mann Lake tank. If it does, get one from MAXANT. You'll be glad you did.

I commonly set my bottling tanks at the heat I want and leave it set over night so I can strain honey the next morning or when I get back home in the evening.
    Mark Berninghausen