Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Mann Lake rep here on BSource?

I bought a 300#/$1400. bottler. 2011/2012 if my memory serves me well. I kept the heat @ or around 85-90 degrees. There was about 50 lbs of honey in it & the water level showed to be well above the honey. I came into my shop to find that the water had all boiled out & honey was burnt to a thick nasty syrup. The heater does not work now.

I called ML & explained what had happened & was told that they had never heard of that happening. I told them that I couldn't imagine how the bottler would get so hot as to boil everything, it was on a very low setting. I was told that b/c it was past warranty that I could buy another element for $200.

In the past 5 years I have been spending money on equipment like a drunken sailor. I have spent probably 70% of my funds @ ML. am I out of line to expect them to stand by this product? I am not a big outfit & I don't expect that they would crash w/out my business. I am not happy & need a heater for my bottler.
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

Default Re: Mann Lake rep here on BSource?

Probably a jammed thermostat?

Can't answer if / why they should repair something like that after the warranty has expired, if they did they would be doing you a favour it would be a nice gesture, but they don't have to.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

OT. I would expect them to say: send it back, let's have a look at it....not: sell you another one.
    Last edited by lakebilly; 08-24-2014 at 02:20 PM. Reason: punct

That's not how it usually works after warranty has expired where I am, however maybe it's different for you.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

As I sit at my computer and read this thread, I think about the moderator on this site, who deleted my post because I was telling about bad customer service of Walter Kelly Bee Company, I wonder why your post is sticking and this guy gave me the slam dunk!
    I was honest, professional, I just don't get it!

Lakebilly I'm not quite clear. Is it that they just flat won't repair it, or is it that they will repair it, but expect you to pay them for that?

my day job is dairy equipment dealer, quite similar to bee equipment dealer. the warranty is for manufacturer defects, not lightning storms or flooding or what other bad stuff happens. years ago the manufacturers and distributors gave us a some leeway, not any longer. if the parts were made in china [likely], if they fit and work at all you are ahead of the game. I have one supplier that for one particular product [made in usa electric drain valve] , now there is no warranty at all, if it does not work out of the box for 30 days from original shipment date I can send it back if never used, I pay all shipping, the 30 days is out of the distributors pocket. this part has been on the market for at least 30 years never a problem until mandatory material changes to conform with European standards. now we are on our own and the motor is junk. try again nicely with mann lake but also grow up a little. things have changed.

if the heater is 240 volt and the element burns out, the element can short out and continue to heat even with the thermostat off, running on 110 volts, assuming single pole controls. this is just like a standard electric water heater set-up. check for a shorted heating element first. this is a water quality thing, hard water causes this situation most often.

If you bought it in 2011, that's 3 years ago. I assume the warranty is one year? If so, that's a lot to expect from Mann Lake. I buy all my equipment from Mann Lake, but be happy if they even offer a discount since it's probably far out of warranty. Hopefully they will offer some help!

Since this is a fairly large forum and Mann Lakes is not a participant it seems a bit unfair (unethical) to hammer them on this site. Call them again, tell them you have been a good customer and ask them is there any way they can get the manufacturer to give you some relief. Like one of the above posters said, "things aren't like they used to be." China, Mexico and some third world countries are selling sub par inventories to US companies, and they don't do any "good will" fixes. Our country has shipped our manufacturers over seas due to our taxes and regulations so don't look for things to get better soon.

> I think about the moderator on this site, who deleted my post ...

Dave, you have to pay attention to the specific forum that you are posting in, and the special rules that may apply to that particular forum.

For instance, threads in the Consumer Report Forum are required to stay on topic for just the vendor identified in the original post. If you want to talk about a different vendor, you need to start a different thread. If your post got deleted, that may be why.

Note this thread is in the Bee Forum, and the rules are different in this forum compared to Consumer Report. If a forum has special rules, they are posted in a sticky at the top of the forum thread listing.

- - - - - - -

Lakebilly, my suggestion is to remove the element/control from the bottling tank, find the manufacturer model numbers/ID of the element/control and Google it to see if you can find other sources of spare parts. You might find that replacement parts are available for less elsewhere.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 08-24-2014 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typo
    Graham
    --- Practical reality trumps philosophy!

Sorry to hear of your troubles Lakebilly. I think I would follow Raders advice, may save you a few bucks. As far as ML goes, cant really say I would expect them to do much more than offer you replacement parts. Its been 3 years. Hopefully your spring harvest will make you forget about the expense of keeping equipment running. When I have tractor problems, always seems I get a few more bales on the next cutting. Keep your chin up. Good Luck. G

How long was the warranty?

The burnt honey sucks...I would make some meade.

If warranty is out I would replace the components myself. Perhaps add inline a water level switch or thermal switch to prevent overheating from happening again

Somtimes calrod type heaters have thermal fuses, like in a kitchen oven to prevent "thermal events" ie fire. Typically they are one shot or must be reset at a very cold temperature like liquid nitrogen.

1. I am not "hammering" anyone. notice the question mark in title. that was fishing for someone from ML.

2. I did call & explained what happened. I got what I believed was "sorry Charlie".

3. I will follow Radars advice.

4. I am looking for a why it happened more than anything. I spend $1400. & a $200. part fails maybe I talk the next guy out of buying that product from same co. that aint gonna stand by it. If you sell crap maybe we just say so. I don't sell or install junk, it comes back to haunt ya. btw, I understand that ML is an employee owned co. folks that understand customer service look out for themselves.
    thanks for the suggestions. sorry if it sounds a little ranty. I am going to reread all & take a productive route.

I am in a service oriented field. I am a self employed remodeler. when my customers call me b/c they have a headache & I happened to sell them aspirin every time. I treat them as valuable. "Uh sorry Charlie the warranty ran out we'd love to sell you another one". well I happen to know of others that sell what you do & if you want to treat me like that seeya! I didn't post this for any other reason than to reach a rep & find out why it happened, maybe get some respectable response. sorry I don't respect "sorry Charlie".

Will you continue to buy from Mann Lake in the future. :-)

Thermostats and calrods are fairly keep, you'll be able to find replacements no problem. The money is in the stainless

I respect client service, etc, but do not see how years after the warranty has expired you expect them to do free repairs.

Anything you buy has to have an unspoken warranty for life?

OT. Love your input, & I hold your advice in high regards. reread what I have posted. nowhere did I say I wanted anything for free. I may have implied, I didn't mean to. Hey when this one burns out in two yrs, ten seconds after warranty runs out we'll sell you another one. I don't mind paying to have it fixed. I don't care to spend $200. on more junk.
    I am not impressed with someone answering the phone that is short on customer service skills. In my profession we are considered "Resolutionaries". I have a prob I need a resolution. How about you talk to someone that knows about these things maybe your heater needs a part, or a tweek of some sort.
    I have worked in grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations & more. I know service. You want to tick off someone that spends a large portion of there budget in your store like that, that's a good way to do it. Suggestion; get someone else to answer the phone.
    I wouldn't rule out buying from ML again. one bad transaction does not one bad co. make. I have made many mistakes. It's how you correct them. I would like follow up & resolution from someone that appreciates loyal customers.
    btw. I called them last season about it. I used the bottler two seasons. I am only trying to get it resolved now b/c I need it. I remodel, run a farm & keep bees. the faster I go, the behinder I get. should have said that @ the beginning.

Fair enough.

As you said, taking Raders advice may be the best available option. Could also mean that if there is some design flaw in the part you could replace with a better quality part.

Sorry if I sounded over the top, I did actually ask if you wanted it done free or if the issue was they would not do it at all, but that was not clarified.

LB, I kind of thought you were ranting a little too. Sucks about the part. Like Rader and Oldtimer said, maybe you find a different manufacturer and get a better part at a fraction of the cost.
    Like Burns asked...... Will you use Mann Lake in the future? Good Luck G